1969 Avanti 2 with supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Avanti 2 with supercharger

I was watching a old Car & Track tv show on U-Tube and they did a 1969 Avanti 2 road test the car tested had a super charger , did a lot of Avanti 2's built by N&A have this option? This is the first one I ever saw was this the 327 300 hp, engine, ?
    Joseph Kastellec

Here's the car.... I have the magazine article somewhere

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The single master cylinder may have been installed as there doesn't look to be any room for a dual reservoir type with the supercharger located where it is. It could well have been an earlier car.

There was an article on the car in a custom car magazine that said the car was a '67 or '68 Avanti II. It said the car was built for Bonneville speed runs.

In the April 1970 issue of Esquire magazine, there was an article on the Avanti and it stated that a bright red supercharged car was built for Robert Morrison of Molded Fiberglass and that Nate Altman considered the car a "monstrosity". Whether this is the same car I don't know, but it may have been.

I've also been told that there were two supercharged Avanti II's built, so they may have been different cars in the two magazines.

About five or six years ago, there was a supercharged Avanti II sold on Ebay...I believe it was located in Wisconsin or Minnesota.

It's definitely a bit of a mystery...were there two blown Avanti II's or just one? And where is it today?
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I think that there was only one and it was a supercharged 327 cubic inch engine. It was a 1967 Avanti II with a single chamber master cylinder (probably due to space problems).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I think that there was only one and it was a supercharged 327 cubic inch engine. It was a 1967 Avanti II with a single chamber master cylinder (probably due to space problems).
          Here it is - someone's trying to sell it again. Just dont go too fast or that belt may fly off. I wonder what it would be worth with a proper carb and proper hood.
          1967 AVANTI: VERY SPECIAL ONE OF A KIND SUPERCHARGED MUSCLE CAR! FLAME RED WITH RED INTERIOR 38,000 DOCUMENTED MILES WITH HISTORY AND DOCUMENTATION. THIS AV...

Comment

It doesn't look like a very professional installation. Look at the length of the top radiator hose and how it snakes under the drive belt! There must be better ways to supercharge a SBC powered Avanti.

Chris.

Comment

There's a 1970 Avanti with a Paxton and a 4 speed in Atlanta. It's light blue. I think the owner bought it from John Poulas years ago.

Comment

There was a white supercharged 305 30th Anniversary model Avanti at Dover last summer. I believe the supercharger was on the same side as the red 67, but was mounted a lot lower. It had the flexible hosing as well. They look a lot more professionally done if the hoses are formed rubber and have attractive bends to join the charger and carb bonnet.
                sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

It looks like a battery trunk relocation would have allowed the Paxton to mounted lower negating the hood monstrosity.
                  Bill

Comment

here's one

Picture is a few years old...'

Click image for larger version

Name:	03819995473882.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1695345
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I would think with a small block there are way better ways to add a super charger. Like one that goes straight to the intake.

Comment

This car was built by The Avanti Motor Company before the "straight to the intake" existed, with todays technology, a serpentine belt drive and new model blower, and no surge tank it would all fit under a stock hood!! My dad inquired about one like it to replace his 64R2 and was told it wouldn't be offered, the base Vette motor was faster than his 64 and he wouldn't miss it. He had been contacted as a owner of an Avanti to get input on how the car should be changed or kept the same, to attract buyers. In return for his input they sent him a fiberglass tray with the new Avanti II lithograph on it. He decided to get a 68 Charger instead, much to my disappointment at the time.

Comment

That appears to be the same car (w/same hood bulge) used in a 1969 "Car and Track" video I cited a while back:

Unfortunately the video is unavailable due to copyright - it was highly complimentary, with plenty of automotive slang. The rear tires were spinning between every turn with the tail sliding all over the place.
                          Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

Yes it is nice to see the car survives.
                            The hood bulge is distracting, but a least it overlays the gun-sight design.

Here is a re post of the Bud Lindemann Car & Track video.
                            Bud says it has a Twin-Traction rear end.
                            BUT there sure seems to be too much one sided wheel spin, for that statement to be true.

Fun to watch, plus he was very complimentary of handling and braking.

Stude-Preferred
                            Atlanta GA
                            Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 10-17-2017, 01:35 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Bud said "Italian design". I guess that this conclusion was based on the Italian name.
                              Also, one of the commenters said that Avantis were "made in Canada" as a fact.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X