Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Zsa Zsa Gabor saying in this Lark ad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Zsa Zsa Gabor saying in this Lark ad?

This is a 1963 Studebaker Lark Commercial from the Studebaker Corporation. It features Zsa Zsa Gabor endoring the car. 9,335 Lark Two Door Hardtops were so...

I cannot understand a thing that she is saying, due to her accent. Does anybody have a copy of the script, or a good ear?
    \"Life is short, write in pen\"

"Dahling, with Schtudebaker's big V8, you can outrun those pesky patrol officers."
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

That really cracked me up.

Comment

I always loved how she covers up the fact that the crappy door latch didn't catch but just let the door bounce (OOPS!). Right about :45. Must be she expected it to happen
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Has anyone ever considered that the door was staged so it would not slam and therefore create a noise that might be magnified in volume on a sound stage? It looks to me in one scene that the door "bounces" off of a stop (rubber?) and was deliberate.

Just my thoughts

Mr. Bill
          Hamlet, NC

Comment

Do all Lark doors bounce?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bill View Post
              Has anyone ever considered that the door was staged so it would not slam and therefore create a noise that might be magnified in volume on a sound stage? It looks to me in one scene that the door "bounces" off of a stop (rubber?) and was deliberate.

Just my thoughts

Mr. Bill
              Hamlet, NC
              No offense, but that makes no sense.

Originally posted by texbodemer View Post
              I don't know how anyone could possibly do a study to determine that, but I would guess, no.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I don't know how anyone could possibly do a study to determine that, but I would guess, no.[/QUOTE]

I've had two Lark hardtops, and even with the first one restored, I'd say in my experience, the answer is 'yes'!

My '66 2-door sedan, which I just received this morning....I'll let you know!
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

What Bill said. All of my Stude cars had bouncing doors if you didn't push them hard enough to latch. I remember one that was almost as though it was spring loaded. Press the handle button on the outside, and the door would pop open all on its own. I think that was the passenger door on my old '58.
                  Last edited by mbstude; 08-24-2011, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Well, Mr. Andrews, since neither one of us was there in '63 when that was filmed, I guess we will never know.

I was just stating how it looked to me and I have watched that commercial many, many times. It appears the door was deliberately staged so it would not shut (or slam) closed.

In the future, I'll keep my thoughts and opinions to myself and you won't have to comment to them.

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive today but I have often thought some of you need a major refresher course in how to state your responses without making someone else feel bad or ignorant for something they posted.

Best regards

Mr. Bill
                    Hamlet, NC
                    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texbodemer View Post
                      There are two cars that I know of where the doors do not "spring" open some when one grabs the handle and pushes in the button. Studebaker is known for that, and 1956-7 Continental Mark II's. When I first got my Studeabaker back in the mid-seventies, the first thing a friend of mine commented on was how the doors had no 'spring' to them when he opened it.

Craig

Comment

Perhaps the back of Miss Gabor's fur coat caught in the door so it wouldn't shut properly.

Comment

Apprarently, Zsa-Zsa Gabor wasn't the only one to use poorly-adjusted or worn door lock assemblies to sell new cars!

...and is that Johnny Wiffer's first wife flirting with him at 00:18 or thereabouts? So many things to see in one 2-minute commercial! BP
                          Last edited by BobPalma; 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM.
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Interesing in that that the door she is having trouble with appears to be on a 40's Chevrolet.

Comment

Fenders for $12.00? My how times have changed!

Comment

Working...
                              X