The Wheeler-Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wheeler-Dealers

In the '60s, the want-ads never listed jobs. It was always 'positions'. “Manager-trainee wanted for position of responsibility...blah...blah...blah...” This was probably an ad for a ditch-digger or janitor but 'manager-trainee' sounded so much better. So, in 1960 I was...er, between...uh...positions. In other words I was..uh...looking for a "position" and almost broke.

I answered an ad for the 'position' of salesman at a Chevy dealer in Dallas. This was a commission-only job--meaning, of course, you didn't sell, you didn't eat. It was at
    a dealership that had been going down hill for a while, so the owner had hired these 2 fast-talking wheeler-dealers to train salesmen in the 'formula' method of selling. Any salesman worth his “loss leader” knows what this is but suffice it to say it was a very high pressure way to get the prospect to sign an order—ANYTHING--didn't matter the price, then turn the “sales manager” loose on him. Of course, he wasn't REALLY the sales manager, just another salesman. The REAL sales manager was in his office, listening on his intercom to the prospects telling each other how much they could spend on a car. During this game the “appraiser” might lose the guy's “trade-in” so the guy couldn't leave until he bought SOMEthing.

Every morning, these 2 slick-talking con men would hold a 'sales' meeting and rant and rave about how wonderful we were gonna be and how much money we were all gonna make. One of their fave promises was that we were gonna be so rich that our wives could afford silk panties with '$5 pootin' pockets', whatever those were. None of us dummies knew what it was but it always got a laugh when they said it. About 20 of us had answered the ad and I later learned they hired ALL of us—no rejects at THAT dealership, boy!

One morning there was a big roll of brown wrapping paper on the table at the front of the sales-meeting room. During the meeting, we were told to each get 3-4 feet of this paper and we were gonna go out to some place and put notices on cars. We were supposed to tear off 4”-5” square pieces, wrinkle it up a little and write something to the effect, “I have a buyer for your car. Please call me at....”, put our name and a card under the windshield wiper of the car. You didn't do this to EVERY car, you'd skip 2 or 3, then put out another one. Off we went, 4-5 station wagon loads of us, just itching to get rich, as we'd been promised. We went to a big shopping center and began putting out these little notices like a bunch of rats after cheese. After about an hour of this, we piled back into the station wagons and sped ourselves back to the dealership to await the zillions of people who just HAD to let us buy their car.

As we were unloading ourselves, one of the bosses came running out yelling, “Who's John Wipff?” I held up my hand. “Well, someone is here waiting for you to sell them a car. They got your notice on their windshield and want to buy.” I was flabbergasted. I hadn't really expected our little ploy to work, certainly not so soon, but I rushed into the store—frantically, looking for my prospect. He and his wife was seated in one of the 'closing rooms' looking at a brochure.

I put on my best “assume the sale” face and said something like “Hi folks, I'm John, which car did you want to buy?”

Oh, we didn't want to BUY one...We just want to talk to the guy who wants to buy OUR car. Our payments are so high we can't afford 'em any more.”

Really? How much are they?”

Seventy-one dollars a month.”

Hmmmm, this wasn't going as planned. “Well, lemme talk to the sales manager and see what we can do.” I frantically went looking for one of the wheeler-dealers but they were not to be found. They had melted away like ice in a heat wave. Now what?

I raced down the hall, looking for SOMEone to help me...but there were only the dummies like me. Now what? I went into the shop and button-holed the service manager, explained the situation. “Now what do I do?”, I asked feverishly. If there was the SLIMMEST possibility of a sale, I sure didn't want to blow it.

Why're you asking me? I'm just the Service Manager. What do I know?” I began to get a knot in my stomach. I went back into the hall, still looking for one of the bosses. NOWHERE! Well, why worry? After all this time, maybe the 'prospects' had left. So I went back to the closing room. Nope, they were still there. They wanted out of that $71 a month albatross about as much as I wanted to sell them a car.

Well, the guy I need to talk with just stepped out for a few minutes.” (I learned later, these 2 jerks had actually gone to lunch as soon as we got back from our wrapping-paper fun.) “But while we're waiting, may I show you some of the new Chevies?”

To make a very long and boring story short, after a half hour of delaying the inevitable, my prospects decided they'd look elsewhere for a buyer and, as it turned out, they was the only people who EVER came in because of our morning at the mall escapade. Within a week, the wheeler-dealers were booted out by the owner, I had not earned ANY money and my wife NEVER got her silk panties with $5 pootin' pockets. All in all, it was one of the least profitable 2 weeks I ever spent.

But every once in a while, I'll get a raggedy piece of wrapping paper on my windshield with a message that SOMEONE wants to buy my car. And I'll know that SOMEWHERE, SOME wheeler-dealer has struck again!

John
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM.

Hi

The worst of it was, those unethical techniques were used all over the country, especially by large urban dealers. After twenty years of such abuse, customers were so turned off by the experience they went looking for dealers that didn't engage in such practices......many of whom turned out to be selling imports.

Darned if you'd know it, those cars turned out to give them good service with few problems, and they went back for a second and a third and never went back to the domestic makes.

Steve

Comment

Another good story, Johnny; thanks. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey BP! Did you ever live in Texas???? GGGGGGGG

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
          Hey BP! Did you ever live in Texas???? GGGGGGGG Jim
          Geeze, Jim; I was only 14 years old in 1960! I was still hawking used bicycles to my fellow paper boys delivering The Chicago Daily News downstate (true, actually!) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BUT you never answered my question??? Did you ever live in Texas???? GGG

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Great story!!!

reminds me of the radio car ads still playing today saying: "all credit applications accepted!"... duh-huh
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

As an adjunct to this story, when I was in Del Rio, selling Fords that same year, biz was slow, so I tried using the 'wrinkled wrapping paper' trick to scare up some prospects. Gilbert Murray Motors was right across the street from the court house, so it was easy to amble across the street and walk the square, putting out these little lies. Of course, it didn't actually work any better in Del Rio than it had in Dallas but it was better than sitting around the showroom waiting for prosepects. AND it gave the impression I was doing SOMETHING--even if I wasn't.

One day, as I walked back into the dealership from one of my little sojourns, Mr. Murray said, “John, there's a guy in my office who wants to see you. He got one of your notices that we want to buy his car.” Mr Murray's office had a big glass front, so I looked around the corner into his office and there was a Texas Highway Patrol guy, his Smokey-the-Bear hat on his lap.

Hello”, I said as I walked into the office. “So you got one of my little notices?”

Yes, I did. Don't you know it's illegal to offer to buy stolen property?”

Huh?”

Yep, putting his little notice on the windshield of that T-bird was an offer to buy. The guy who stole it is on trial in the courthouse and it's parked outside there as evidence. I'm gonna have to take you in. Put out your hands like this.” He held out his arms parallel about 6” apart.

Huh?” I was half thinking it was a joke. At least I was HOPING it was. But Smokey wasn't smiling. He put on his hat, then reached behind him and brought out a pair of handcuffs.

Hold out your arms, I said.” I slowly put my arms in the required position and he snapped the cuffs on me like I was Mr. Mafia himself. I was still hoping it was a joke but at that point, wasn't so sure.

Now, turn around and let's go.”

I turned and there was the entire crew, including service guys, looking thru the door and window at the charade. They began laughing like coyotes. “Ha Ha Ha Ha....” Mr Murray grinned, “Thot he hadja, huh? Maybe you better be careful where you put out those little notices next time.”

Smokey was laughing too. But I was still handcuffed. “It may be funny, but it's no joke. If you offer to buy stolen property again, it may not be so funny.” He removed the handcuffs and walked out the door, guys patting him on the back as he went.

And I never used wrapping paper again—except for wrapping!

John
                Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 08-21-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Johnny: This was even funnier than the first story. Keep reminiscing!
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X