M/C for disc brake cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: M/C for disc brake cars

Does anyone know what the bore is for the single chamber master cylinder used with 63-66 disc brake equipped cars? Is it one inch or something else?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Yes, 1" is correct.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you!
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

If we are speaking about Lark/Avanti firewall mounted disc brake master cylinders, 1" is not correct. These cylinders are 1-1/8" bore.

Comment

This is on my 66 Cruiser. I was looking at either Cardone 10-36706 or Wagner 36706.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            This is on my 66 Cruiser. I was looking at either Cardone 10-36706 or Wagner 36706.
            I believe a 1970's dual reservoir Mopar master cylinder will bolt up to your booster. You will need to split the brake lines (front and back) but that's easy (I just did a dual MC conversion on my 1962 Lark a couple of days ago).
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I don't know if that will work with disc brakes, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                I don't know if that will work with disc brakes, though.
                Note later Avantis all had dual master cylinders starting 1967...........and, they used the original Studebaker disc brakes up front till ca. 1985.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

early 70's Chrysler will bolt right on, you will need to adjust the rod between the M/C & booster I do not remember the part number right now, but I think if you look in April 2001 Turnering Wheels in the tech section, the number is in there.

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

1976 full size Chrysler disc brake master cylinder interchanges...$14.99 at Pep Boys.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Somewhere I read that a 1973 Plymouth Gran Fury (?) has a power booster/ m/cyl that is very similar to the Stude set up.
                      If Scott decides to go the split m/cyl unit, which brake line goes where?
                      Also, will we need to put a proportionng valve in line?
                      George King
                      Grants Pass, Oregon
                      64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Originally posted by Orestudeguy View Post
                        Somewhere I read that a 1973 Plymouth Gran Fury (?) has a power booster/ m/cyl that is very similar to the Stude set up.
                        If Scott decides to go the split m/cyl unit, which brake line goes where?
                        Also, will we need to put a proportionng valve in line?
                        Assuming that disc brake Studes did not have proportioning valves; I would simply take the present hard line from the junction block and plumb it into the 'disc' brake sides of the master cylinder. Then (assuming the layout is the same as my 1962 Lark) remove the hard line from the above junction that runs to the union on the driver's side frame rail, cap off the former (3/16" plug available from NAPA, etc.), run a 5' 3/16" hard line to the 'drum' brake MC port, bleed, road test and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                          If we are speaking about Lark/Avanti firewall mounted disc brake master cylinders, 1" is not correct. These cylinders are 1-1/8" bore.
                          The 1 1/8" M/C's are incorrect replacements, possibly Chrysler units.

When using any Chrysler Single system round reservoir Master Cylinder, (use only 1 inch) you must remove their residual valve (when included), rubber boot, their type of Piston retaining cover and (2) screws and replace with the SINGLE, simple beveled head screw and retaining ring from a Studebaker M/C.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-19-2011, 10:46 AM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well my head is spinning, but hopefully George understands all this. The bottom line is that I know I can get the correct MC from a Studebaker vendor, but as much as I want to support those guys this is a case where if I can find the correct replacement for $50-$75, it makes more sense to do that than spend $150 to get one (probably the same item) from a Stude vendor. It would also leave me more money to get really unique items from them.

Comment

• Rafe Hollister
                              Rafe Hollister commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I've noticed that too, 2 or 3 times the price from Studebaker venders on some stuff.

Scott,
                            I know what to do.
                            But it's your car and your cash. Let me know!!!
                            George King
                            Grants Pass, Oregon
                            64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Working...
                            X