2 pix = 2,000 Words of Irony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 pix = 2,000 Words of Irony

'Wife and I just returned from four days in lower eastern Tennessee, visiting Oak Ridge, Great Smoky Montains National Forest, and Museum of Appalachia. Great trip; wonderful weather, thoroughly enjoyable. Museum of Appalacia is to be recommended just above Knoxville; very interesting. Almost five hours was barely enough.

And the trip furnished a good deal of irony, too. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, I'll lay claim to having saved that many keystrokes.

Oak Ridge, of course, was built from the ground up in the early 1940s, for the sole purpose of supplying the correct uranium in ample supply for the atomic bomb, necessary to conclude World War II. Hundreds of people were shoveled out of the valley with only a month's notice to relocate so the Secret City could be built.

We spent a lot of time at The Musum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge, looking at hundreds of photographs taken during the facility's construction. Many late '30s and early '40s cars in the photos. I strained, but didn't see a single Studebaker. 'Not to say there weren't any, because I'm sure there were. Most all were Chevrolets, which must have been unusually popular in the area. Many Fords and a surprising number of Pontiacs, too.

We expected Oak Ridge to be kind of a has-been area, but we couldn't have been more wrong! Everything in the area, including enormous new buildings devoted to all manner of high-tech stuff, suggests that Oak Ridge is sort of a Silicone Valley in the mountains. Population peaked at 75,000 during WWII, but has been just under a steady 30,000 for several years now, per the tour guide.

Given the demographics of the area, it would seem like a good place to have a Chevrolet dealership, and we did find [the remains of] same. The Impala out front was not left behind; it is ours:

Meanwhile, on the same side of the main thoroughfare a few miles down the road, a huge-stand-alone Nissan dealership was prospering. The distant building is also part of the Nissan dealership, as is every structure visible in this photograph!

Anyone else appreciate the irony here? Here we have an entire community built with the sole purpose of developing a nuclear weapon to [appropriately] avenge Pearl Harbor...yet, today....

hmmmm....

Perhaps General McArthur should have read the fine print before co-signing the surrender treaty aboard the USS Missouri 66 years ago this month! <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Well said.....

Comment

Perhaps it says as much about the poltroons, dumkopfs and eejits that were mismanaging GM into a kamikazi death spiral while making huge $$$ and bloated benefits for themselves in the process. How soon you forget the sacrifices made by others before you so that you could win a war, and win the peace as well...

Or maybe it says something about the now designed and built in the the USA Nissans. They weren't really successful in North America until they dropped the British imitations and started paying attention to what Americans really wanted: something as solid and dependable as a Chevy was but with more stuff and cheaper to own, and fun to drive. Sometimes it helps you keep your eye on the sparrow if you lose just about everything. I also think of the irony of it all every time I see a Mazda...from Toyo Kyoga, of Hiroshima.

Comment

Maybe Nissans are popular in Tennessee for the same reason Studebakers were in Indiana. There is a big Nissan assembly plant, is Smyra Tn. and there is a new engine plant in Decherd Tn. A 2.8 billion dollar investment in that state might leave a favorable impression on the locals, maybe more so than a Detroit car.

Nissan Motor Manufacturing Corporation U.S.A. (NMMC) is Nissan's first manufacturing facility in the United States. The 5.1 million-square-foot plant is on a 778-acre site about 20 miles south of Nashville in Smyrna, Tenn. The initial investment was $760 million.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
          started paying attention to what Americans really wanted: something as solid and dependable as a Chevy...
          Dear God I hope not.

Sad thing is, my dad's '73 Chevy pickup truck actually *IS* solid and dependable. I wish I could say the same for my company car ('08 Impala,) which I initially loved because it appeared to suck less than the '05 it replaced.

But I'm coming around to the opinion that if this is the best GM can do, that they're not going to be with us much longer, bailout or no.
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
            Dear God I hope not.

Sad thing is, my dad's '73 Chevy pickup truck actually *IS* solid and dependable. I wish I could say the same for my company car ('08 Impala,) which I initially loved because it appeared to suck less than the '05 it replaced.

But I'm coming around to the opinion that if this is the best GM can do, that they're not going to be with us much longer, bailout or no.
            So what is wrong with it, Nate? We love ours. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Anyone else appreciate the irony here? Here we have an entire community built with the sole purpose of developing a nuclear weapon to [appropriately] avenge Pearl Harbor...
              Actually, the A bomb was being developed to try beat the Nazi's to the punch. This was in response to a 1939 letter signed by Einstein to then President Roosevelt warning him about Nazi attempts to develop an atomic weapon. When what was left of the Nazi government surrendered in May of 1945 the first major test had not taken place. If the Nazi's had held on for another six months, the city Hiroshima would not be associated with the A-bomb, but someplace with Frankfurt, Vienna, Prague, or another Nazi held European city.

After suffering 50K casualties on Okinawa (plus 200,000+ Japanese casualties) it was clear to Truman it might be the solution to ending the war as soon as possible. Even after the the second bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, there was still a deadlock in the Supreme Council as to whether Japan would surrender - the Emperor broke the tie in favor of surrender.

Comment

It seems we won the War but lost the Peace!!!
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

We expected Oak Ridge to be kind of a has-been area, but we couldn't have been more wrong! Everything in the area, including enormous new buildings devoted to all manner of high-tech stuff, suggests that Oak Ridge is sort of a Silicone Valley in the mountains. Population peaked at 75,000 during WWII, but has been just under a steady 30,000 for several years now, per the tour guide.
                  Lots of alternative energy research and other related R&D goes on there in addition to other stuff for the pentagon and DOE. They do a lot of R&D on power electronics and motors for hybrid and battery vehicles. A couple of folks from work in my area were down there for a seminar a couple weeks ago. I know that some guys from the corporate R&D dept that keeps tabs on new tech are on whatever "mailing lists" Oak Ridge puts out on that sort of thing.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Everything in the area, including enormous new buildings devoted to all manner of high-tech stuff, suggests that Oak Ridge is sort of a Silicone Valley in the mountains.
                    You think Studebaker secretly established an R&D facility to get rid of oil leaks once and for all?

Craig

Comment

Nissan is a 'merger of equals' with Renault. 'An example of one that worked; unlike Mercedes Benz and Chrysler's.

Craig

Comment

I think JDP's comments have merit...about Nissan being a 'home team' or something in TN.

From someone who reads edmunds.com and other internet car sites, as well as looking every once in a while at CR, trust me, Nissan has not been without their own issues over the past several years too...Armadas, Titans, Sentras, Quest minivans, have all had not-insignificant areas of concern...although as one might imagine, they don't seem to get the press that anything bad a domestic carmaker does.

I have a great Chevrolet dealer, trust them totally, but I hate that I have to drive six or seven miles further, in congestion, than I did in 2008. Luckily, most of the Service Staff moved to this other existing dealership after the closure of our hometown dealer. That building is a Mazda dealer now. You can buy a Mazda in our town of 28K but not a Chevy! What's wrong with that picture?
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

So what is wrong with it (Impala), Nate? We love ours. BP

Have had chronic problems with:

1) door locks - they just stop working in the summer heat. Have had this happen to three doors now.
                          2) brakes - possibly undersized for the weight of the car? I just had new brakes put on about 7K miles ago and already had to have the rotors turned once. I've never even worn out brakes in any of my personal vehicles, I am pretty easy on them. Possibly could be because I am riding the brakes all the time... there is no perceptible compression braking when lifting off the gas; if you want to slow down you have to use the brakes.
                          3) tire/wheel balance - nobody can seem to get this car to drive right - and the outsides of the tires get all kinds of chewed up. I suspect that the suspension geometry isn't quite right, because it also seems that the tires start to howl at very low cornering loads. Obviously I have not tested ultimate cornering grip
                          4) the stock tires (Goodyear Integrity) are criminally bad. Unfortunately they didn't wear out fast enough, I had to suffer through a winter with them.
                          5) Edit: forgot to mention, the A/C is awful on this car. I finally got a shop to actually check it and they said it was low on freon (must have been from the factory?) but it is still nowhere near as good as the A/C on my '93 Ford pickup and simply can't keep the car at a comfortable temperature when it's sunny and hot out. (and it was over 100 degrees a couple weeks ago here!) Still and all, it's better now than it was, but in a heat wave you still can't really be in the car wearing professional-looking clothes and not get sweat-soaked. Which is kind of bad, seeing as it's my company car.

Now granted, it is maintained by the better of two company-approved shops which wouldn't be my choice given a free hand in the matter. But this thing is just so damn frustrating... right now it needs two of the door lock solenoids replaced and at least new front tires (they're not worn out, but they make a horrendous racket - feels like the belts have slipped or something, you can even feel a notchiness in the steering wheel when turning it - unless the power steering is going as well) I honestly think the last time that it actually felt "right" and had no perceptible problems at all was around 10K miles or so. I'm at over 60K now, and I can't remember ever taking it in for an oil change without a laundry list of stuff for the mechanic to please check out while he's doing it.

Given that I've subjected many VWs and one Porsche, all bought well-used, to the same treatment and honestly not driven nearly as kindly, with far fewer problems and a much more enjoyable driving experience (not to mention better fuel economy and lower purchase price!) I am Not Impressed.
                          Last edited by N8N; 08-18-2011, 01:02 PM.
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Anyone else appreciate the irony here? Here we have an entire community built with the sole purpose of developing a nuclear weapon to [appropriately] avenge Pearl Harbor...yet, today

We call it Hiroshima's revenge!!!
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1958 Commander "Christine"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

I hesitate to enter this, but I'd like to raise one small point. But before I do that, I should point out that I have never owned anything other than GM and Studebaker cars and trucks. I was a long-time stockholder in GM (not any more, of course) and have never owned a Japanese car.

Last year my wife decided she wanted to buy a (what are now called) cross-over SUV. She did the research, and called a number of dealerships regarding availability and prices. All of the Japanese car dealers called her back; none of the GM dealers did. I even stopped by a local GM dealership and asked them to send info on the Traverse and Equinox directly to my wife. They did not. Both the Honda and Subaru dealers followed up several times and offered to sweeten the deal with extended warranties, free oil changes, satellite radio subscriptions, etc. She eventually bought a Subaru.

I'm not trying to defend GM management -- they had been mismanaging the company for decades. But some dealers probably deserved to go broke.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X