No announcement yet.

Driving a Stude from just south of Cincinnati to around Akron, OH Sunday Aug.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving a Stude from just south of Cincinnati to around Akron, OH Sunday Aug.21

I bought a '66 Daytona Sports Sedan just south of Cincinnati last weekend and plan on driving it home Sun. a.m. Aug. 21. I think it'll be fine, and I have AAA, but if anyone might want to give me a phone no., not to come out and work on a broken-down car along I-71 (!) but maybe guide me to a decent place in the area or avoid other places, if need be, it'd be appreciated! If you live not far from that I-71 stretch from Cinci to Akron and don't mind, drop me a PM with your name and phone no. Thanking you in advance! Probably won't need any help, but trying to be proactive (as they say at work).
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Hello Bill. I'm glad to hear you found a car. Should be an easy trip for it to make.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the Summit meet on August 27 so I won't get to see your car yet. When you get back home with it, post some pictures of it for us.

Dave Bonn

Comment

Sorry to miss you at Summit Dave, but I'll try to get a pic or two of my car on the board here at some point!
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Hi, Bill. I wish I can have some SDCers along the way when I try for the PSMCDs in September. The club does publish a glove box list of members names and #s. If anyone can direct me to a current source, I believe it will be worth the asking price, just for peace of mind and to know we're not alone on the roads. Safe trip!
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Bill, I just sent you a message with a phone #.

Comment

Bill,

Congratulations on finding your new Stude. Until you can post pictures, how about a bit of a description of engine, color, interior, accessories, etc.? Hopefully, this one is the "holy grail" that you have been seeking, solid and ready for the road. I think that you will find a noticeable difference in the Sport Sedan vs. the Hardtops that you have owned.

BTW, with all due respect for the Studebaker motors, the small block Chevy is a great engine for the car.
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

Bill , congratulations on that purchase. I keep a roster on those 66 Daytonas , if you would like yours included PM me with some details of it and a pic will be nice as well . Safe drive.

Dave , good to see another Ontarian going to the drags , you'll enjoy them for sure. Depending on when you plan on going I will keep an eye pealed for your Stude , if thats what your planning on driving.
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Jim, it's Niagara Blue Mist with black vinyl top and black vinyl buckets, 283, automatic, PS, and PB. It had a body-off resto in '98 or so and took 386 pts. at the '99 Rapid City meet. Pic in the Jan. 2000 TW. Probably about 15K miles since then. Steering has a lot of play IMO, but I plan on getting that taken care of soon. When I test-drove the car, I didn't count the number of shifts (duh!), but it had a lot of scat at take-off--more than my R1 did, which makes me think it's been converted to first-gear start.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now

Comment

[IMG]http://i971.phot

Sorry Bill, had to slip these in.
                  Brian Greenall
                  Melbourne, OZ
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
                    [IMG]http://i971.phot

Sorry Bill, had to slip these in.
                    Great pics, Brian. Are those in California?

Do you have the blue '64 yet?
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

No Bill, they are pics from Indianoplis where she was loaded. She will be on the water by now, about another 3 weeks to here. The blue 64 is in San Francisco at the minute, just waiting for some more cars to roll up there to make a four car pack, it's cheaper to freight them that way.
                      I am looking forward to seeing your new purchase!
                      Thanks Brian.
                      Brian Greenall
                      Melbourne, OZ
                      sigpic

Comment

Brian, the picture of the upper deck looks like an accident waiting to happen, I can see all the junk on top ending up on the 63 when you open it in Australia, looks like cheap old lumber used and not nice new like other I have seen.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Thanks, 2R5. You'll probably already be in Michigan by the time I head out. Leaving Friday after work and will get as close as I can before checking into a motel. Hope to show up Saturday a.m. Car is running good. Having the Dana 44 set up Monday. A signal light switch and carb linkage springs should be here next week (the jury rigged springs I have on there will tear my foot tendons by the time I reach Toronto (lol)). Taking some basic tools, fan belt, replacement bulbs, fire extinguisher, 6V charger, fuel pump, flashlight... anything else a Stude pilot should take on a road trip?

Comment

your CAA card <g>
                            ...by the way , I'll be heading there friday am , real early , gotta head home right after saturdays drags , we have our chapter picnic on sunday so I need to get home. 1st time I'm not taking a Studebaker.
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Cool. Hope to see you there and maybe do the return trip with you. CAA is my friend. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X