Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people could the Lark REALLY seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people could the Lark REALLY seat?

I've been looking at 1959-1963 Studebaker Lark ads, and saw that the Lark could seat "6". I then saw a Lark on Capitol Hill, a 1959-1960, and realized it was tiny! Could the Lark have actually fit 6 people with a bench seat?
    \"Life is short, write in pen\"

Sure! It would be a bit tight but absolutely you could fit six people in a Lark.
    Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

People were smaller back then also.
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

The interior dimensions of all the last generation Stude cars and trucks were laid out during WWII, back when, as Anne said, people were smaller. The average male of that day was 5'8" and 144 lbs. So yes, six of those little guys could easily fit in a Lark.

For today's larger guys, including myself, the C-cab truck is a size too small. At least, with cars, the driver's seat can be moved back. In a truck, there's no more there there.

OT, but the epidemic of obesity in this country is well-documented; auto manufacturers, airlines, theaters and other seating areas which have to accommodate today's fat derrieres are having to supersize the seats.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I've had five "modern people" in my 64 Daytona, three in the front seat and two in the back. My one friend and I are both 6' 4" or over, but the other three were all built to 1948 specs (around 5' 8").

Nick

Comment

Note also, the compact appearance of the Lark was achieved by lobbing off some excess steel in the front and rear, not by decreasing the size of the passenger compartment which pretty much retained the dimensions of the pre-59 sedans.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by texbodemer View Post
              I've been looking at 1959-1963 Studebaker Lark ads, and saw that the Lark could seat "6". I then saw a Lark on Capitol Hill, a 1959-1960, and realized it was tiny! Could the Lark have actually fit 6 people with a bench seat?
              It depends on how many bored college kids you can get together!
              Remember the VW Beetle cramming competitions?
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

This reminds me back about 1990 or so. While athletic director our volleyball coach had a conference meeting one evening and Mary Ann and I was to pick up the coach and take her to the meeting. She owned new car at the time and when she got in the back seat of our '63 Lark, she commented, "My gosh, you could LIVE back here!"

Ted

Comment

How Many Could You Fit in a 59 Lark? ( not safely I might add)

Back in the day, I learned to drive on a '59 Lark, we (my friends and I managed to fit more than six in the '59 Lark I shared with my older brother. I believe we had 13 in it. The extras didn't have seat belts needless to say. If I had taken a pix of it my father, who worked for Studebaker here in Canada would have made sure I never had my little Lark wheels ever again. I would have given anything to drive anything but a Studebaker. But, as my late beloved father pointed out, those four Lark wheels were better than none. If he could see things today, he sure would have had a laugh.
                  ​
                  Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                  studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Having been driving my 63 Lark for about 5 years now (Not as long as many of you, but enough to know) I would say that yes, 6 is a good safe max number for one of those. The rear legroom is excellent for the size of the car. I am 6'2" and weigh about 210, and I would say it would be a bit tight, but not uncomfortable to fit six of me in there. The most I have personally had was 5, but two of them were borderline obese. As a comparison, I learned to drive on a 68 Pontiac catalina, which legally seated six as well...but I personally had nine of us teenagers in there, which would be impossible to do in a Lark! So, yes it is smaller than what the "full size" offereings of Detroit were, but true to its advertising. I have recieved many comments about the passenger compartment size of my lark at shows, all of them amazed at the room in the rear seat.

Comment

I get mixed reactions with my '61. Some folks think it's absurdly small because there's so little front and rear overhang. Others think it's huge inside because they've never been in anything but either a minivan or a modern "two door Speck edition" car and thus bench seats give the illusion of sofa-like space. I still think the legroom is outstanding for the size and it probably would have made a fantastic taxi.

Comment

Do not forget the seven and eight passenger station wagons with the third row seat. Before someone asks - the seven or eight depends on buckets or bench in front.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In 1987, senior year of high school, I had 8 in mine. This was after some seat modification; no one could ride with me on the bench seat since I needed to sit under the dash to reach the pedals. My dad installed buckets seats from a mazda, mounted on wooden blocks so I could see over the steering wheel. Anyway, there was a good gap between the 2 seats and someone would sit on the cooler between those 2 seats. Some were in each other's laps and we made it work to cruise around town. Also made it easier to have more people when we had to push it out of the way!

Comment

In 1961, my grandmother's '60 Lark held one driver and 8 grandkids. Aged 13-8. We're gonna go get fried chicken at "The Drumstick". yum-yum.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              Note also, the compact appearance of the Lark was achieved by lobbing off some excess steel in the front and rear, not by decreasing the size of the passenger compartment which pretty much retained the dimensions of the pre-59 sedans.
                              Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                              This reminds me back about 1990 or so. While athletic director our volleyball coach had a conference meeting one evening and Mary Ann and I was to pick up the coach and take her to the meeting. She owned new car at the time and when she got in the back seat of our '63 Lark, she commented, "My gosh, you could LIVE back here!"

Ted
                              Originally posted by tutone63 View Post
                              Having been driving my 63 Lark for about 5 years now (Not as long as many of you, but enough to know) I would say that yes, 6 is a good safe max number for one of those. The rear legroom is excellent for the size of the car. I am 6'2" and weigh about 210, and I would say it would be a bit tight, but not uncomfortable to fit six of me in there. The most I have personally had was 5, but two of them were borderline obese. As a comparison, I learned to drive on a 68 Pontiac catalina, which legally seated six as well...but I personally had nine of us teenagers in there, which would be impossible to do in a Lark! So, yes it is smaller than what the "full size" offereings of Detroit were, but true to its advertising. I have recieved many comments about the passenger compartment size of my lark at shows, all of them amazed at the room in the rear seat.
                              In all fairness; the 1962+ 4 door sedans all had the 113" WB which probably equaled the interior dimensions of the 1950's Land Cruiser/President models. Note that Studebaker for 1959 lopped off most of the 'excess' fat in front of the cowl and behind the rear seat from what I can tell............

My 1962 Lark 4 door looks almost 'silly' with its borderline limousine size interior vs. its (relatively) stubby nose and tail-------------which I'm OK with since the car is still short overall.
                              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X