Cross Post: Reach Rod Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Cross Post: Reach Rod Design

The reach rod I have in my M15A is of an interesting design. According to the parts manual it the correct part.

On one end is a standard ball joint except that it is permanently (some type of weld) attached to the reach rod. The other end is bazaar. It is a ball joint but composed of a removable socket that is spring loaded with adjustable tension. The seal is a chunk of leather with a protective sheet metal shield.

Does anyone know why it is this way?

Why do I care, well, it needs to be replaced and I have not found a source. What I was thinking to do is make one out of a regular tie rod. I could take a tubular tie rod, cut it to length, thread the cut end and install two normal ball joints, same ones used on a normal tie rod.

Has anyone done this?
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
    See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

All the time.

Comment

Actually there MAY be an easier way also, you SHOULD be able to find a newer model Stude. tie rod END with a rubber grease seal and that will screw right onto the reach rod to replace the old leather/metal seal type rod end.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

54 and older Chev's and possibly early Corvetts used this type of linkage also -Jim

Comment

I'm not so concerned about the adjustable end, just wanted to know why it was that way, an engineering reason. I can get parts to repair that end.

The other end is a conventional ball joint but is welded/bonded to the rod and can't be replaced, or is not intended to be replaced without replacing the entire rod. At first I was thinking about making my own reach rod but would have to find a ball joint with larger diameter tapered mounting since the adjustable tapered mounting is larger than the other ball joints.

So, maybe I'll keep the reach rod and cut off the welded ball joint and weld onto the rod a sleeve/pipe that is tapped with the replaceable ball joint thread (11/16"-20)
            1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
            See rescue progress here on this blog:
            http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X