1950 Commander Re-wire Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Commander Re-wire Question

I need to re-wire my 1950 Commander which is in beautiful shape but the old wiring is a bit scary. I would like to re-wire with period correct cloth covered wire but I have been told that is really spendy. Another route to consider would be to use a modern Universal wiring harness and then hide the wires by using flexible black wire conduit.
    Does anyone have any ideas or opinions about this? Anybody got experience doing this?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I would go to Studebaker West and get one of their wiring harnesses. I have many 1950 starlight Commanders. I highly recommend them.

Comment

I also used their harness for under my hood and Just ordered one for the back of the car. They are nice work just fine. My only complaint was no labeling on the wires for where they go to. But it wasnt that hard to figure out where they went either.
      I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
      sigpic
      I'll Tattoo you anytime!
      And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
      Crazy Lady Ink
      Shakopee Mn.
      952-445-3281
      27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

You will pay at least twice as much to get a harness in the original lacquered/ braided configuration.
        There are two recommended suppliers. You can preview prices in their catalogs and proceed from there.
        I've dealt with both and have had no issues with either.

Rhode Island Wiring Service

and YnZ's Yesterdays Parts
        YnZs Yesterdays Parts offers its customers over 49 years experience in manufacturing wiring harnesses for antique and classic cars and trucks. YnZ's Yesterday's Parts ยท (909) 798-1498
        Last edited by rockne10; 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I just added a new harness to a 50 champion, 12 curcuit fuzzed. I unbolted the dash tipped it out and stripped all the wires, also stripped the rest of the car, added back the new system, changed to 12 volt, added a alternator, added 3 voltage drop curcuits to maintain some original equipment, like wiper moter,heater motor and fuel gauge. Complete project was 52 hours+ parts. Now have a speedcranker, all 12 volt lights and a real nice system. I did wrap all the wires in black tubing so it is not so visible.

Comment

i've been thinking about using something like this:

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

... to keep it looking original. and the products come in different gauges/sizes.

anyone tried these?
            Last edited by Corvanti; 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM. Reason: fixed an "oops"...
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

You can buy bulk wire (in other colors/patterns) from YnZ and probably Rhode Island as well. I am in the same boat as Cmdr. Eddie. My existing harness is intact but flex the wires at all and the insulation cracks. I really like the "look" of the fabric wires but Stude West does a nice job and is a LOT cheaper. My "compromise" solution is a battery switch on the firewall so I can disconnect the battery whenever I park the car. But sooner or later something is going to fry if I don't replace the harness

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
                But sooner or later something is going to fry if I don't replace the harness
                A succinct and wise admonition. If you hold out for the opportunity to afford the original type, you stand the chance of loosing your entire investment to aged electronics.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                X