How to Adapt Speedometer Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: How to Adapt Speedometer Cable

I'm not quite there yet, but trying to plan. I'm putting a 327 Chevy and Muncie 4 speed into my 62 Lark. Can the stock speedometer cable be adapted to the Muncie trans? Has anyone done this with a Muncie or other manual trans? Just curious as to whether it can be done or if I should start looking for some other way to have a funtioning speedometer. Thanks.

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
    I'm not quite there yet, but trying to plan. I'm putting a 327 Chevy and Muncie 4 speed into my 62 Lark. Can the stock speedometer cable be adapted to the Muncie trans? Has anyone done this with a Muncie or other manual trans? Just curious as to whether it can be done or if I should start looking for some other way to have a funtioning speedometer. Thanks.
    That makes two of us: I also have a 1962 Lark and may wind up dropping in a SBC and matching trans down the road...........
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I think a quick Google will find you a "GPS Speedometer", no need to connect anything but the battery.

I concur, www.speedhut.com has what it takes. Kinda spendy, but look what all you get.
      Last edited by Tom Bredehoft; 08-11-2011, 09:47 AM. Reason: Added information

Comment

Go to speedhut.com , Awsome product

Comment

If your going the SBC & Muncie route then use any standard Chevy speedo cable. The only Stude that used the same cable was the 4 speed (T-10) equipped cars. I ordered a cable assy from the Delco rep. when I worked at a Caddy dealership, installed with no problems.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I used a '72 Chevy pick up speedometer cable between a muncie 4 speed and a '57 Hawk speedometer in my hot rod, worked good. The 4 speed has since been replaced with a T5, and the cable still works.
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Sounds too easy. i hope it works out that well. Thanks

Comment

Just make sure the Chevy cable housing has the screw on end at the speedometer. At some point they went to a clip on end. The transmission end stayed the same for decades.
                Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Thanks. good stuff.

Comment

Speedometer Service Company,Roger Luckow, 414-463-6660, been in business since 1920, very reasonable. Mac

Comment

Working...
                    X