X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions in ID'ing my 1962 Lark.

Cowl tag: 62V-Y4 7761
    VIN: 62V-39316

I know I have a 1962 259 V8 in a Y body with the 'Deluxe(?)' trim level but I can't figure out what '7761' stands for. Car is off white (Ermine?) with a blue interior.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

The 7761 is the body number
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Anne is correct -- just a body number.
      The numbers you show tell you that the car was originally equipped with a V8.
      They do NOT tell you if the V8 was a 259 or a 289. You need the engine number to determine that.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniac View Post
        They do NOT tell you if the V8 was a 259 or a 289. You need the engine number to determine that.
        I'm 99.9% sure the motor in there is a 259 from the factory since the car has that spindly Dana 27 rear end. And it has the partial flow oil filter up top (Fram PH17 which is a very odd and rare number) along with single exhaust and a 2V carb but the
        manifold has provisions for a 4 barrel.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniac View Post
          The car is a Deluxe four door sedan. Since I believe that in 1962 only Cruisers and Hawks (and fleet models) came with the 289, it would be a 259.
          The car was assembled in South Bend, not Hamilton.
          What is strange is that the Serial Number is near the end of 1962 production yet you do not have a full flow engine. Do you have the build sheet? Does the car have its original engine?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            The car is a Deluxe four door sedan. Since I believe that in 1962 only Cruisers and Hawks (and fleet models) came with the 289, it would be a 259.
            The car was assembled in South Bend, not Hamilton.
            What is strange is that the Serial Number is near the end of 1962 production yet you do not have a full flow engine. Do you have the build sheet? Does the car have its original engine?
            Unknown on whether the engine is original...........although after almost 50 years anything is possible.

I have yet to run into its build sheet (if it still exists).

Comment

The build sheet is easily obtained from the Studebaker Museum - check their website for the details. I forget what the cost is these days.
              Jim K.
              63 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                FWIW Gary, my granddad's '62 Cruiser has a 259.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                  /Cut/And it has the partial flow oil filter up top (Fram PH17 which is a very odd and rare number) along with single exhaust and a 2V carb but the manifold has provisions for a 4 barrel.
                  All of the '59 & up 2 Barrel and 4 barrel Intake Manifolds use the same casting, before machining throttle bores, and drilling and tapping the Carb. stud holes.

The Oil Filter should be a Fram PB50, Purolator PER3, now L30003 or WIX 51050, unless they superceeded the number.
                  If you have the wrong Filter that could cause leakage when changing it, the correct ones have a restrictor orfice in the drainback center hole.

Maybe you should look at the lower right side of the block right next to the Block coolant drain plug, to see if there is a Full Flow Filter block-off plate on this Engine, because with that late a Serial, it may have the late Engine.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 08-10-2011, 08:50 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    FWIW Gary, my granddad's '62 Cruiser has a 259.
                    Maybe my post wasn't worded well enough. 1962 Cruisers came with a 259, but the 289 was optional in the Cruiser, but not for the rest of the Lark line (like the subject car).
                    Last edited by studegary; 08-11-2011, 11:03 AM. Reason: "typo"
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X