Well!!! I doubled my Avanti herd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well!!! I doubled my Avanti herd

This is proof that I need to stay off Ebay. I check Ebay a couple of times a week for Avanti's and a few other items. I never plan to buy but it can't hurt to look can it?!!!!

Well, a couple of weeks ago we discussed a 1974 4-speed Avanti on the forum that caught my attention. It was 150 miles away but looked generally in poor nick. Hog troughs gone and, even though, the seller said a solid frame I was leery. But the darn thing just would not go up in price.

I love my 83, it is a great driver, looks super and is a hit at shows but it's not a four speed. When I built the 83 I originally intended to convert it to a 4 or 5 speed but good sense prevailed and I realized that the 200R4 would save my knees. But the need to own a four speed never left.

I set a limit I could afford and dialed it into Ebay with the expectation that I'd be outbid but wouldn't feel bad because I at least tried. Well, when I looked at my emails It said "You have Won".

Judy wasn't surprised when I told her of my indiscretion, she said she kinda expected something some day as I was without a project with the 83 done and I don't go long like that.

Here it is in it's "Glory"

Setting on the lift ready to evaluate the under carriage.

The interior was not moldy but reeked of mothballs, so the seats and carpet came out when it first arrived. The carpet is history but the seats are in nice shape except the drivers which has a small split in the side.

Here are the "stronger than new" owner install hog troughs. I'll recreate something closer to the originals but the best news is my die grinder finds solid steel where ever I remove the rust on the frame except the rear cross member that is toast and both lower plates under the front of the rear spring mounts that are swollen. Nostalgic has the OEM plates so I'm back into what I love to do.

I know a lot of you will say nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti, but this will all be SOB labor and metal from the local ALRO's. I'll do all the body work, paint and engine upgrades.

It also has a 71 Chevy 307 (POS) but "Who cares". That will be replaced by a better bullet.

It's positives are; 4-speed, perfect window glass, no cracks in the glass body just flaking paint and a FOUR-SPEED.

AVANTI!!!!

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-08-2011, 07:44 PM.

One of my favorite Avanti's is a '70 model with a Paxton blown 350 and a 4 speed here in the Atlanta area.. Best of luck with yours and kudos on saving my favorite version of the Avanti II!

Comment

Best of luck on your project, Bob. What color do you intend to paint it? Installing a 350 or something a little more exotic?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That single picture of the frame doesn't look all that bad, Bob. I'll bet you were pleasantly surprised. Good show. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great find....looks like the makings of a super car..enjoy the ride...

Comment

Congrats, Bob. Looks like a fun project.

When you are ready for the engine, we can have a built 350", 383" and 400" SBC long block to your specs and delivered to a loading dock near you.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

nice score!!!

i sure miss mine!!!

i recall seeing this one when it was 1st listed on ebay. the hog trough replacement scared me off, and not close enough to check it out...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                Best of luck on your project, Bob. What color do you intend to paint it? Installing a 350 or something a little more exotic?
                Good question Brent

My mental picture currently is deep yellow with black on the hood and other accents.

The engine is an interesting question. It originally had a 400 SBC and, I believe that it was the only year with a 400 with a 4-barrel carb. My initial research says that it would qualify for the PSMCD's and be allowed a compression upgrade by 2 points over stock. My reading also suggests that the cam needs to keep the original lift but I'm not sure about grind. If I can legally use a more aggressive cam grind and the 2 pt compression upgrade then it will possibly be a 400 SBC "Stock" motor.

If not, then 383-406 SBC with all the bells and whistles. The bigger motors should allow me to run a decent 3.5 or so rear end with the torque to get it off the line and mosey rapidly.

Bob

Comment

This Avanti originally came with a 400. I wonder why it was replaced with a 307.
                  The other unusual feature, other than the four speed, is that it is an Avanti II without power windows.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob, I have hog troughs PM sent.
                    JS
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

The engine is an interesting question. It originally had a 400 SBC and, I believe that it was the only year with a 400 with a 4-barrel carb. My initial research says that it would qualify for the PSMCD's and be allowed a compression upgrade by 2 points over stock. My reading also suggests that the cam needs to keep the original lift but I'm not sure about grind. If I can legally use a more aggressive cam grind and the 2 pt compression upgrade then it will possibly be a 400 SBC "Stock" motor.
                      Bob, there was never a performance version of the 400" engine. The cam was very mild. We've built several 400"s using better pistons, such as the K-B 22cc D-cup piston to give 10.4:1 compression. thinner rings, better heads and a CompCams cheater cam profile. Looks stock, runs like stink.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        This Avanti originally came with a 400. I wonder why it was replaced with a 307.
                        The other unusual feature, other than the four speed, is that it is an Avanti II without power windows.
                        Gary

Good catch, compared to my 83 this is a striper model; crank windows, vinyl interior and no power trunk.

The 307 replaces the original 400 that met its demise about 12 years ago. No good info on the reason for the demise. The car was owned from original purchase until I bought it, by a gentleman from Detroit directly from Avanti Motors and then his son who realized it was more than he could do to bring it back. The original owner drove it in decent weather and also used it to pull and launch his boat, so I'll guess the 307 was cheap when the 400 went away. It has an original chrome trailer hitch with Avanti stamped into it, so it must be a factory option.

Bob

Comment

The trailer hitch was an Avanti option made for them, but I don't know who the vendor was. They show up on Ebay every now and then. I've considered buying one but I would never tow anything with the car so why bother other than for having it...same goes with the luggage rack for the trunk...I wouldn't use it so why bother?
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

sweetolbob; I have a 73 avanti witch was one of seven built in 73 with the small block 400-4barrel and 4 speed with 3.73 rear end was last one built in Dec 73.Have since changed to 700r4, still have the 4 speed whitch has the close ratio. Mac

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                              Good question Brent

My mental picture currently is deep yellow with black on the hood and other accents.

If not, then 383-406 SBC with all the bells and whistles. The bigger motors should allow me to run a decent 3.5 or so rear end with the torque to get it off the line and mosey rapidly.

Bob
                              My '76 which I bought in '76 had a four-barrel.
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X