• Show
Clear All

• 1962 Hawk production order mystery

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1971.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1733850
    I received a production order for my 1962 GT Hawk (final production date of 11-7-61) a while back and didnt even realize until weeks later that there are some decrepancies between it and the actual car.
    The production order states that it has:
    (13) Velvet black paint
    (14) black vinyl trim
    (19) Flight O Matic
    (27) tinted windshield
    (33) PCV system
    (34) power steering
    (38) power brakes
    (42) undercoating
    (55) white sidewalls
    (60) climatizer
    (72) radio, and it has all of these things to this day.
    Following the radio option, it states "SOLD RUSH"
    The odd thing is that it also states that it has a (40) tachometer and a (70) clock....which it does not have. The gauge panel is solid on the left and right sides where there should at least be holes for these items.
    Any theories as to why this car does not actually have these items? Could it be that these items didnt get installed because it was a rush job? Somebody remove these things years ago because they no longer functioned properly and installed a replacement gauge panel? Anybody else ever find differences between a production order and the car that it is for?

Just curious,
    Brent
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Brent,

I don't have any ideas on that, but I never noticed anything about the dash overlay that would make me believe it didn't come from the factory that way (without the clock and tach). The overlay looks original. However you know the ignition switch was replaced at some point. That's the only thing I am sure wasn't original.
    Maybe the clock and tach were sold with the car, but not installed?

Scott
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Perhaps I should look behind the gauge panel, maybe I'll find a NOS clock and tachometer.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

A lot of the production orders are inaccurate. People that have owned cars since new have received them and they don't match the car.

Comment

That is a serious discrepancy, Brent, but not unheard of, sorry to say. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My 55 president was suppose to be rancho red and Black from the production order ,but it was sonora beige and black. I haven't look at the production order for awhile ,checking the dates when the car was ordered and when it shipped , but I thought it was a rush job.

Comment

My guess on this is that the car was built with these items and someone changed the cluster area later. They may have had another Hawk that they wanted a full dash on.

If they didn't get installed at the factory, normally the items would have been crossed off (but not always). I can see how they might not have had a tach available, but doubt that for a clock.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X