The Inside Story On STP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Inside Story On STP

There is always talk of what STP stands for. This 1960 Studebaker brochure that I bought on EBAY says it stands for "Scientifically Treated Petroleum".
    Attached Files

Last page:
    Attached Files

Comment

I always liked the one I read about 40 some odd years ago , Studebaker Tickled Pink , Ed

Comment

As teenagers we had several other versions of STP...none of which I can post: XXX!
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

I still remember the commercial with Andy Granatelli dipping a screwdriver into a can of motor oil and being able to hold it, then dips a screwdriver into STP and could not hold onto it as it was so slippery. That was a very effective demonstration...truthful or not.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Andy, he was a showman. His book "They Call Me MISTER 500!" is a great read. I'm sure he's still living large in retirement.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

STP stood for different things during its lifetime.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              Regardless of what anyone thinks of Andy, he was a showman. His book "They Call Me MISTER 500!" is a great read. I'm sure he's still living large in retirement.
              The old boy is still living, up in Santa Barbera. My sons used to compete in fencing (sabre) and his grandsons by his son Anthony would compete with my boys. This is a really neat family, both of the grandsons have good heads on their shoulders. If you ever hear Dennis Miller's radio program, Granatelli is an occasional guest as they are neighbors.

Comment

I don't know how true it is, but I read in Wikipedia that when S-P began diversifying in 1960, one of the companies that it purchased in addition to Onan and Gravely tractors was Chemical Compound Corporation, maker of STP.

Mike O'Handley
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com
                Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird
                (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

That is true Mike

Comment

When I was in fourth grade, we had a 'free period' when we could write or draw anything we wanted to on the blackboard.I drew the STP logo, under which I wrote "The Racer's Edge".For some reason my teacher Mrs.Horowitz became very angry with me and said,"That's stupid".It wasn't til later on that I found out that S-T-P stood for multiple things lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X