New to the Forum Just picked up a 1949 Studebaker Pick up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forum Just picked up a 1949 Studebaker Pick up

I just got a 49 Studebaker pickup. So far it seems to run really well, no leaks it has an overdrive that seems to make some noise when I let off the gas and coast, is that normal? I'm looking forward to restoring it. Is there anything I should know about owning a studebaker? Also, I am in need of the rubber around the window front side and back mine seem to be rotting away, this was a farm truck so it spen alot of time outside. Thanks

Great find !
    You can find most rubber stuff you need at Studebaker International . You should join the SDC ( which you can do on line here )
    You mentioned "on leaks"....best check your fluids because when a Studebaker stops leaking it usually means its out of oil <g>
    ...good luck with your truck !
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

welcome to the forum!
      where are you located? it may help find some local folks willing to lend a hand, also meet up with your area's studebaker club.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'm in Colorado. The Truck before I bought it just got new brakes, tires, overdrive, clutch and the motor had a tune up. I think the overdrive might have a tiny leak.

Comment

Welcome to the forum where questions have usually quick answers. Please put where you are so that we can better help you. So much is available for your truck. Thank you for getting another one back on the road.
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

There are two lube chambers in that trans.. Be sure to check both!

Originally posted by Bikerguy View Post
            I'm in Colorado. The Truck before I bought it just got new brakes, tires, overdrive, clutch and the motor had a tune up. I think the overdrive might have a tiny leak.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully the SDC as well. By joining the SDC you get a wonderful monthly publication, Turning Wheels, at I am sure you will find very informative. Also try to find your local SDC Chapter. Lots of local, or fairly local, help can be found within our local chapters.

If your overdrive has a leak of any kind, be sure to check the fluid in that unit. Check the fluid level in both the transmission and the overdrive unit. It could be that when the transmission was over hauled the transmission was filled, but not the overdrive unit. Fluid will go into the overdrive unit from the transmission, but if the unit is empty (like after a rebuild) it will not fill up fully from the transmission alone.

Again welcome!
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

How do I check the fluid in the overdrive? I've never owned a Studebaker before my last classic car was a 67 Chrysler Imperial and then I have motorcycles and that is my expertise. A little help would be great thanks!

Comment

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/transmission/BW-OD/bwoperators.pdf

Read page 18.
                  There are two fill plugs on the RHS of the trans/OD.
                  First fill the rear chamber (O/D), and then fill the front chamber (Trans)
                  Make sure to follow the recommended oil type, too.
                  HTIH
                  Jeff
                  PS: Here's the best info source for your overdrive:
                  http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/transmission/BW-OD/BorgWarner.html

Originally posted by Bikerguy View Post
                  How do I check the fluid in the overdrive? I've never owned a Studebaker before my last classic car was a 67 Chrysler Imperial and then I have motorcycles and that is my expertise. A little help would be great thanks!

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Hi. On the transmission in the picture towards the back, there are two plugs. The upper plug is where you check the fluid level. I hope this helps you. If you need any more info you can call me, or send me a personal message, or phone number is 417-862-0316. Thanks Dusty
                    Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

To add for clarification....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5324.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1670340
                      Originally posted by dusty taylor View Post
                      Hi. On the transmission in the picture towards the back, there are two plugs. The upper plug is where you check the fluid level. I hope this helps you. If you need any more info you can call me, or send me a personal message, or phone number is 417-862-0316. Thanks Dusty

Jeff

Comment

A couple of things to add: if it's not already clear, do not use EP-rated lubricant (hypoid gear lube)in the transmission. Either straight 90W gear oil, or straight 40 or 50 weight motor oil is better. For what it's worth, I find the transmissions work better when filled with motor oil.

One very simple thing to check: find the overdrive lockout cable, and ensure that when the knob is pushed all the way in (overdrive enabled) that the lever on the overdrive housing is all the way back against its stop. It does not have to be off this stop very much at for the overdrive not to work at all.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                        X