1957 Silver Hawk Work-in-progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Silver Hawk Work-in-progress

First time Studebaker owner. Found this beauty on Craigslist and me and my wife fell in love with it. Was not running when we got it, interior and exterior were OK and original. Bought new by Frank Abernathy who owned the car until he passed. The car sat until his wife passed, then the grandson who was the intended heir said he had no interest. Thank You Brendan. So it was a one owner car!
    Wife and I have decided to try and do as much as we can ourselves, without much reason to be comfortable doing so. We have had it 4 months now and here is the update. First we

Click image for larger version

Name:	FirstDay.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1733824Click image for larger version

Name:	stripped.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1733825Click image for larger version

Name:	hood.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1733826
    drained/cleaned tank, rebuilt carb, took it to a shop where they replaced 4 bent pushrods(seems someone ran it on old gas). It started right up! So after a few miles of driving we began to take the car apart. It is in a million parts, here are the pics. We are in a self-induced race to make it to Waxahachi in September!!!

We shall see. And yes we are painting in our driveway....no mean jokes.
    Last edited by Trzbme; 08-03-2011, 08:10 PM. Reason: additon

Love it, please keep us posted with more pictures as the project moves along. Best Regards from avanti76

Comment

Car looks great. Welcome to the Forum.
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Great find on a super car...enjoy the ride.....

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it in Waxahachie.

Comment

No shortage of heat to help dry the paint!

Comment

Rock on!

Love stories like this! It's great that you AND the wife are doing it together. Look forward to the end product. Back yard projects...yeah!
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '57 Golden Hawk
              '51 Champion

Comment

Chuck you are not kidding about the heat. As you know it is brutal, making it hard to work more than a couple of hours a day. But the silver lining is the paint dries as fast as I can lay down a coat. Will keep photos coming as I can. Thanks for all the nice words

Comment

If you can get it together in time for Waxahachie, you are a better man than I am! It is just too d**n HOT here in Texas to do that much work!
                  Looking forward to meeting you in Wax!

Comment

I just got done restoring a 1959 Silver Hawk. I learned a lot in the process and documented my journey throughout. if you have any questions please feel free to email me at mail@shauhin.com - i am still pretty fresh on memory about putting these things back together.

Comment

No doubt I will be taking you up on that.

Comment

Working...
                      X