first trip to work in commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: first trip to work in commander

this morning i took the commander to work for the first time. well for some reason my right front brake is making some horrible noise like the drum is not centered. when i hit the brakes it grinds and frees up then grinds again..so on and so forth.. i still have brakes and need to pull the drum back off and look at it. but has anyone ever had this happen to them? could a spring have came off or broke??
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Something like that is hard to diagnose long distance. Most likely when you get in there the cause will be obvious, but you never know. A loose spring could account for the noise.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

ya i figure it will be something stupid like a broke spring or something. i just cant get the smile off my face whe driving it though!!! even in this heat!!
      Kevin Phillips
      Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

I had that happen on the rear drum of a Chevy Cavalier. Somehow the brake shoe slipped off the wheel cylinder and when you hit the brakes it would push the shoe to the ouside instead of against the drum surface. Worst part was when I tried to back up it would totally lock up. Scary.

Comment

Happened om my 55K. Shoe retainer clip was inadequate. New ones available from S.I.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
          X