I finally got one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got one!

I am picking it up this Saturday. It is a 1962 Lark sedan with a 259 V8, 3spd and overdrive. Car was evidently sold new here in Arizona.

Lark does start and run but the brakes don't work and it will need additional repairs.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

WOW! WOW!
    Good roads in your future!
    Any old car should have it's brakes addressed post haste, even if represented as functional. Better to have no go than no whoa!
    My first was a '62 Lark VI with 3spd OD; wish it had been a V8!

WE NEED PICTURES!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      WOW! WOW!
      Good roads in your future!
      Any old car should have it's brakes addressed post haste, even if represented as functional. Better to have no go than no whoa!
      My first was a '62 Lark VI with 3spd OD; wish it had been a V8!

WE NEED PICTURES!
      Pics this weekend

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
        Pics this weekend
        We'll be watchin'!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          We'll be watchin'!
          Saturday

Comment

Questions here:

The car is white (Ermine?) which appears to be original and the interior is blue with a split bench seat. Car is obviously a Y Body but are there any obvious visual clues as to which trim line it may be? There is a chrome strip that runs the length of the car along the 'infamous' crease.

Comment

The color is indeed Ermine White paint code P6211, the vehicle is a 62V F4 or if it had been a heavy duty or Police Marshall it would be a F3

Basically, 2-dr sedans F Body
              4 -dr sedans Y body
              4-dr wagon P body
              Hardtop j body
              Convertible L body

There were 2600 V8's produced compared to 16600 of the 6

289 Motor came with Finned Brake Drums, 44 Differential,HD Radiator & Dual Exhausts

Best of luck with it.
              Engine numbers (US) P79801-P93600 (Can) PC2801-PC3400
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                The color is indeed Ermine White paint code P6211, the vehicle is a 62V F4 or if it had been a heavy duty or Police Marshall it would be a F3

Basically, 2-dr sedans F Body
                4 -dr sedans Y body
                4-dr wagon P body
                Hardtop j body
                Convertible L body

There were 2600 V8's produced compared to 16600 of the 6

289 Motor came with Finned Brake Drums, 44 Differential,HD Radiator & Dual Exhausts

Best of luck with it.
                Engine numbers (US) P79801-P93600 (Can) PC2801-PC3400
                Def not a 289 car; vehicle has single exhaust and I suspect a Dana 27 diff.

Comment

My apologies, thought I saw 289, still a great car though.
                  John Clements

Comment

Pictures as promised: car had been bought/paid for and towed to where I work earlier today.

Front sway bar; not sure if standard or optional.

Cowl tag: 62V-Y4 7761
                    VIN: 62V-39316
                    Last edited by 1962larksedan; 08-06-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

What a nice car, now the fun begins, give her a good wash and then check each system for defects. That is check the fuel system - tank, fuel sender, lines/pump/filter, the cooling system etc, change all the fluids and most of all just drive the thing. I have recently had mine checked out - renewed the suspension from front to rear, had the mechanicals checked, redid the master cylinder (resleeved, new cap, new piston) and now know she is safe. I had a delightful 2 hour long drive tioday and she's perfect.

The main thing I learnt was the necessity of putting the miles/kilometres under her wheels - whilst the systems are fine when renewed, lack of use makes things stiff and driving will loosen them up. I got frustrated for a time when she drove well but stalled at each set of lights, after a while all was fine.

Suggestion on starting which made my life much easier:

Pump the accelerator pedal say 20 times, chug her for a couple of seconds, pump/chug etc - after about 4 times mine starts - used to drive me crazy and I thought I had to remove the air cleaner and pour gasoline into the carburettor to start her, not required now.

If the oil is sludgy, one fellow said he used high detergent diesel oil (I think) changing every 1000 miles along with a new filter - after 15000 miles his engine was clean.

All the best with your 1962, I just love mine. Lark Regal 4-door sedan flightomatic.
                      John Clements

Comment

I plan to register my Lark tomorrow; fix the ignition switch then repair the brakes (or go with the Turner conversion if $$$ to overhaul). Car has no seatbelts at all; def want to look into a 3 point system for the front.........I have the split bench seat. Now for weird: this Y-4 has a padded dash, was that standard or an option back then?

Comment

The brakes are no issue if the drums and rest of system are properly sorted. I found no issue yesterday. BTW, you may need a new brake light switch, especially if the pedal is stiff. I found that when I lightly applied the brakes folks would say "you have no brake lights" now replaced. Handbrake cables can be soaked in diesel fuel to clean I was told, they must have done mine so much better and you apply after pressing brake pedal - much easier.

They all had a padded dash in those pre-seatbelt days - you had something soft to hit in the event of a crash. As for seat belts, 3 point belts can be installed with a hole punched through the "B" pillar so I was informed else an approx 3 inch long and 1.5 inch wide metal plate can be riveted to the inside of the pillar if enough room, thus avoiding the hole but seems to me most cars of that time with 3-point belts have the hole.

All the best with her, have fun!!!
                          John Clements

Comment

Lark is now titled in my name and registered. I wanted to get the legalities out of the way first before I start sinking money into it.

Comment

Nice car! Good luck and enjoy!
                              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X