Getting a 1946 Champion Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Getting a 1946 Champion Home

Just bought a 1946 Champion. It is located 2 1/2 hours away and has been stored for 25+years on an old falling apart trailer. I cant remove the existing wheels because of this. I will be able to remove the car from the old trailer on the flats, but was wondering is anyone knew of any common rim/wheel combination I could pick up from a local wrecker to use just to reload onto a second trailer. Really trying to save multiple trips and avoid damage to the old rims and hubs. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure, but I think that 1946 Champion rims would be 4 bolt like mine, which means your choices, aside from other pre-1951 Champion rims are pretty limited. I'm told that Chevy Vega rims might fit, but I don't know that. If you're just pushing, pulling or winching it around from one trailer to another, especially if its on grass, I wouldn't worry too much about hurting the rims. Most importantly, recognize that the driver's side lug nuts use left-handed threads. The studs should have the letter "L" on them. Enjoy your new (to you) Champion!
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

I guess its not the moving from one trailer to another I am so worried about. We can winch and pull it around. Its more the unloading into my garage. Hard to push off the trailer and into a garage on 4 flats.

I appreciate the input.

Comment

Sitting around as long as it has, its also likely that at least one of the wheel brake cylinders is locked up. Good luck!
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Four-bolt 1978 and up Ford Fairmont, Mercury Zephyr, and 1979 and up Mustang should also work.

I'm not sure about the offsets and all for permanent over-the-road use, but if you can pick up some old "doughnut" spares cheap at a junk yard and take them along, they ought to allow you to accomplish what you want to do.

As Lothar says, be sure to note the left-hand threads on the left side of the car. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Could you cut 4 disks of 1 inch plywood and cut the appropriate holes. If you are just moving in a straight line on really hard pavement this might work. Don't try it on dirt.. I was going to try that for a 2000lb car, but ended up buying a small compressor instead. I would want the hub hole to be tight on the plywood.

PS As I said, I never tried this, BUT if you do, please let us know the results.

Comment

Thanks, I think I should be able to find mustang rims. I was thinking the "doughnut" would be good to keep the tire as narrow as possible. Good to know others think that might work. Guess off to the junk yard this week.

Comment

Won't you put it on a couple of wheel dollies. No problem if the brakes are locked, the bearings are a bit stiff or the tires fall apart. Not too easy to move with the tiny wheels though.
                Attached Files
                The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

Have you tried putting air in? You might get lucky on one or two wheels and that makes a world of difference. Don't forget the spare might still be in there as well. Worse case if you can get the old tires off you will not hurt the rims just rolling onto a trailer. Good luck getting the car home and post some pictures!

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. Got the champ home today. The ford 4 bolt did fit the rear, but not the front (larger hub on the front) able to switch the rears with doughnut spares. One front held air for 15 whole minutes (long enough to trailer) and used one spare bare rim on the other front. Able to grind the hub hole larger and switch out when we got home. Car rolled off the trailer. Two people were able to push and rolled right into it's new home. The 108 mm tires are not quite the exact bolt pattern, but close enough. Thanks again! Will post a pic soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X