185 Crank availability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 185 Crank availability?

I've recently obtained a 170 OHV engine that I plan to eventually rebuild and put in my 62 wagon. I've read several threads about replacing the 170 OHV crank with a 1955-1958 185 crank, and I am interested in possibly doing such a swap when I rebuild. Some of the threads I've read seem to indicate that the 185 cranks are difficult to come by. I am pretty new to the world of Studebakers and I don't have any idea whether the 185 crank is a common, readily available part or something that will be tough to find and prohibitively expensive for my budget. If this swap is something that I'm seriously going to consider, I'd like to get a feel for whether there are 185 cranks out there for sale, and if so, a ball park idea of how much I'd have to spend for one? Thanks in advance for your input.

Chad

They are very rare. So happens that I have one. PM me

Comment

Chad,

They are NOT rare. They are inside every Champion six cylinder built from 1955 thru 1958, plus in service replacement engines. It would be easier probably to find a complete 185 engine.

Put some feelers out in your local club, on this forum as you have done, and check the Studebaker Swap Page (http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php) also.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

You may need to notch the bottom of the cylinders about 0.25" and change pistons.
        Greg
        http://salt2salt.com racing a 53' Stude on the salt.
        http://tribaker.wordpress.com building a 37' Stude boat-tailed speedster 3-wheeler
        http://turbostude.com building a 50' bullet-nose with a turbocharged stude flathead six (site under reconstruction)
        sigpic

Comment

Paul, Do you have a 185 crank. If they are so easy to get, perhaps you can find him one.

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
            Paul, Do you have a 185 crank. If they are so easy to get, perhaps you can find him one.
            Yes, I have a couple of them slated for 185 OHV builds. I'll keep my eyes open for another one for Chad, but beating the bushes a little should locate him one locally.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks guys. That helps. I'll keep my eyes out for one. If anybody has any leads that they'd be willing to pass on I'd appreciate it.

Chad

Comment

Have you tried Cathcart's in CT?
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

My 185 crank sold.

Comment

Chad,
                    PM sent about the availability of one in an adjoining state.
                    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Huth View Post
                      I've recently obtained a 170 OHV engine that I plan to eventually rebuild and put in my 62 wagon. I've read several threads about replacing the 170 OHV crank with a 1955-1958 185 crank, and I am interested in possibly doing such a swap when I rebuild. Some of the threads I've read seem to indicate that the 185 cranks are difficult to come by. I am pretty new to the world of Studebakers and I don't have any idea whether the 185 crank is a common, readily available part or something that will be tough to find and prohibitively expensive for my budget. If this swap is something that I'm seriously going to consider, I'd like to get a feel for whether there are 185 cranks out there for sale, and if so, a ball park idea of how much I'd have to spend for one? Thanks in advance for your input.

Chad
                      I don't have one, but I have a running 185 OHV in my truck, as does Ted Jensen. It's a nice improvement over the 170, but still not close to a 259 or 289.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                        I don't have one, but I have a running 185 OHV in my truck, as does Ted Jensen. It's a nice improvement over the 170, but still not close to a 259 or 289.
                        Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to post all your threads regarding the build-up of your 185 OHV. I've subscribed to all of them. There's a lot of valuable information there that I will certainly reference.

Chad

Comment

Chad, Have you found one ?

Comment

Ron, I am happy to hear that you finally got the 185 OHV up and running. Is there any chance that you could give us a more detailed report on how it performs vs the 170 OHV? Things like 0 - 60 time, or 0 - 30 time, top speed, and fuel economy?

It would make a great TW article to get your truck together with a similar Champ with the stock engine, and do an A-B comparison, like the auto magazines used to do.
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
                              Chad, Have you found one ?
                              Yes, I have located one fairly close to home. Thanks for all the input.

CHad

Comment

Working...
                              X