Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new to SDC and would like to get lay of the land.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new to SDC and would like to get lay of the land.

As a brand new member here I do not want to get off on the wrong foot. I have a 49 2R5 that I plan on modifying a fair amount. My question is how much modification can one do to a Stude before their sword is broken and they are tossed out of the camp? The plan is to keep the body close to stock but go for creature comfort and drive-ability. Also would like to keep the original 6 cyl if I am smart enough to mate it to an automatic tranny. Please let me know what is appropriate.

Thanks with apologies in advance,
    KdB

Your car (truck), your money. When you get your first Turning Wheels you will find a section on modified not exclusivity here. There all kinds of opinions; yours is as good as the rest. Please post pictures of the project/process. Use the form search and ask questions. Welcome and have fun.

Comment

Welcome to the Studebaker world Kevin. As David has explained folks have different ideas so do it as you wish. The members are mostly cool about modifieds those who are not - well it's their problem. Some folks both within and without the Studebaker world upgrade to a modern frame (Art Morrison or similar) and engine and basically you have a Studebaker body but it's still a Studebaker.

Some have put a Studebaker body on a Ford/Chrysler/GM truck to have all the mod cons but still the original appearance.

The fellow who does the modified column in Turning Wheels is Brian Curtis, contact him when you get the magazine, local clubs should also be able to assist you, let alone the various Hot Rod groups, magazines - they always like a Studebaker as it's a change from the usual.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Likes been said before, Your STUDE, do as you wish.
        And welcome to the SDC.
        James Maxey III
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks all. We shall proceed. Updates to follow. Peace.

KdB

Comment

Congratulations and welcome to our world. Get involved in a local club and look at what others have done. You may find some ideas you like and you may run across someone that has done what you plan to do and had problems with it.

Take your time and do it right if you plan to have the truck for a long time. If you search this forum, you can find some threads on what I have done with my 49 2R5 pick up and what I have done with my bullet nose car. I went for original looking with modern amenities and have not been hassled by anyone for modifying either one. If I had, I would have probably dropped out. As was stated earlier, most Studebaker club members are great and supportive about anything you want to do.

One word of caution from me; the champion six that came in your truck has 80 HP stock and can be a little weak, especially when mated with an automatic. There are aftermarket items you can add to increase horsepower. I have seen dual carbs on many and I have even read a story about a guy that stuck a turbocharger on one. Make sure you do a lot of research and talk to a lot of guys that have been there and done that. Then you can decide what suits you, how you plan to use the truck, and how much money you want to spend.

Then do YOUR thing. (and post lots of pictures)
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Welcome KdB.
              I have a friend in Canada that has throttle body fuel injection on his 6 cyl pickup. There was a story about the truck in the June TURNING WHEELS, and the truck is on the inside front cover.
              Lots of neat things can be done with a Stude pickup and it is almost all good!

Comment

Thanks again for the nice welcome and encouragement.

KdB

Comment

KdB, Welcome to the forum and and the SDC. My 53 coupe is totally modified in just about every aspect. I have been warmly welcomed into the club. We have room for all choices in this club and I think you will find a common theme is to do what you want, stock or modified, just keep as many of them alive and on the road as possible.

We'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Pat
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                  X