X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #5

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

6. WATERLEAKS. This subheading reminded me of the 1963 Cruiser sedans & wagons on which we had to fit this baffle in the rear doors between the door lock & the door glass frame which was held in place by retightening two frame bolts. The shield of the baffle redirected water down between the outer door skin & inner door to the lower door drains. This was a reasoanable countermeasure but those '63 models were a headache for waterleaks. There were modified thicker profile door seals also provided by the Corporation to improve the intrusion of water. I recall doing plenty of those modifications for the vehicles coming from our Assembly Department to our City Service Department.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thank you again, Richard!!!

What a perfect way to start a beautiful Saturday morning ...a cup of coffee and settling back to read your installment #5 of "The Lamberti papers."

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, again, Richard for all the time and effort taking place in preparing these reports for us. I, as well as another poster, sat here this AM drinking my coffee in comfort and inhaling every word of the minutes. You are to be continually commended in providing these for us. Thank goodness these old minute books did not end up in someone's trash can!

Frank Drumheller
          Locust Grove, VA
          60S-W6
          M16-52 Boyer-bodied 1948 fire truck

Comment

Originally posted by welcome View Post
            thank you again, richard!!!:d

what a perfect way to start a beautiful saturday morning ...a cup of coffee and settling back to read your installment #5 of "the lamberti papers."
            EXACTLY!!!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Agreed. I just can't believe they measured brass as being weaker. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

12. Flange Axle

Obviously, they knew what they should have been doing. And if you look at the Production Orders for the first 1964 models built, the ones going to Granatelli for the Bonneville runs, they all had Flanged Axles specified. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

4. High Performance Cars

The nameplate and grille ornament have been finalized, and we’ll get the answer today on the size of the grille medallion. The cars will be painted Avanti Red – enamel rather than lacquer. The F4’s (with carpet) will be about $3,000. Mr. Dredge asked that the public relations cars be painted Avanti Red if possible; otherwise, let them go through white, as originally specified.

This is an interesting item for me personally, as is the date of "today's" meeting; February 11, 1963. The Production Order for the first 1963 Super Lark was also written this day. It was specified (and was indeed built) Ermine White, so we know who "won" the above discussion!

Larry Scott owned this car and rstored it with Nelson Bove over 10 years ago, having rescued it from Californiaas a rust-free specimen. It had to be the highest-quality "Lark" restoration extant; just gorgeous. Larry enjoyed "running" it at the Osceola Drags during the 2002 SDC International Meet in South Bend, and then sold it.

It's been a personal comfort to know that the Production Order for the first Super Lark was written on my 17th Birthday: February 11, 1963; the date of "today's" meeting! For all my youthful Studebaker-crazy exuberance at the time, that was a nice birthday present from South Bend of which I wasn't aware until seeing the P.O. for Larry's car some years ago. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    4. High Performance Cars

The nameplate and grille ornament have been finalized, and we’ll get the answer today on the size of the grille medallion. The cars will be painted Avanti Red – enamel rather than lacquer. The F4’s (with carpet) will be about $3,000. Mr. Dredge asked that the public relations cars be painted Avanti Red if possible; otherwise, let them go through white, as originally specified.

This is an interesting item for me personally, as is the date of "today's" meeting; February 11, 1963. The Production Order for the first 1963 Super Lark was also written this day. It was specified (and was indeed built) Ermine White, so we know who "won" the above discussion!

Larry Scott owned this car and rstored it with Nelson Bove over 10 years ago, having rescued it from Californiaas a rust-free specimen. It had to be the highest-quality "Lark" restoration extant; just gorgeous. Larry enjoyed "running" it at the Osceola Drags during the 2002 SDC International Meet in South Bend, and then sold it.

It's been a personal comfort to know that the Production Order for the first Super Lark was written on my 17th Birthday: February 11, 1963; the date of "today's" meeting! For all my youthful Studebaker-crazy exuberance at the time, that was a nice birthday present from South Bend of which I wasn't aware until seeing the P.O. for Larry's car some years ago. BP
                    Since it was found in California, I wonder if David Blackmer had any input in its development as it involved Mr. Dredge.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      Since it was found in California, I wonder if David Blackmer had any input in its development as it involved Mr. Dredge. Craig
                      A good question, Craig. When I interviewed Mr. Blackmer for the Turning Wheels feature article, his primary focus at the time was the Avanti. His southern-California prestige market was such that he promoted the Avanti first and foremost.

He not only loved the car, he loved the image it conveyed as to Studebaker's "new youth." I couldn't get him to talk all that much about Larks or Hawks because he remained so focused on the Avanti. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        A good question, Craig. When I interviewed Mr. Blackmer for the Turning Wheels feature article, his primary focus at the time was the Avanti. His southern-California prestige market was such that he promoted the Avanti first and foremost.

He not only loved the car, he loved the image it conveyed as to Studebaker's "new youth." I couldn't get him to talk all that much about Larks or Hawks because he remained so focused on the Avanti. BP
                        Time for a 'Part 2' with all this renewed interest? [hint][hint][hint] These Lamberti papers might even jog his memory and give even further insight on these Super package cars.

Craig

Comment

"According to tests, the new piston cuts the oil consumption in half."
                          This must be what my 1963 Hawk needs. It was built in January of 1963 afterall.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

10. Fiberglass Prototype

Mr. Hardig is shooting for March 15 as the completion date. Mr. Bender will let him know what color they want it painted.

AHA! What is this fiberglass prototype they are mentioning? The 'Avanti-style' Studebakers?

7. Keys

I can attest to aluminum versus brass keys. My Kaisers came with aluminum keys (naturally, since Kaiser Aluminun etc...) and after a few years, Kaiser and Frazer keys are uniformly loose and worn down due to the softness of the metal. They were interesting because the centre hole cut-out was shaped like a "K" or an "F". BUT, I've broken far too many brass keys with still good edges in too many old cars with old locks, especially in cold weather, to consider that a proper material for keys either. Give me a solid steel key any day.

Comment

Working...
                            X