Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying side glass???

Hi Folks!

First time here! Hoping someone might be so kind as to help me identify some (what I think is) side glass from a Studebaker?

I'll give the condensed version of the story. A guy I work with has been cleaning out his father's garage/barn over the course of the past few months after the father passed on ...

In the "rubble" is an almost complete set of side glass panels of which he thinks came from a Studebaker. There are 5 of what I think should be 6 total pieces?

I've poured over hundreds of pictures but I'm still not sure? They resemble the side glass like I see in Conestoga wagens but I'd really like to verify them ...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have several good digital pics that I can email. (I don't have much experience inserting images on the net ... [:I]
    If I can add anything else that might help, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks in advance!

Shawn

Shawn- Can you post pics along with some measurements; perhaps then we can help i.d. the glass. Thanks.

Christof Kheim
    ---studesnbldr
    christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
    Christof Kheim
    ---studesnbldr
    ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

Shawn- Can you post pics along with some measurements; perhaps then we can help i.d. the glass. Thanks.

Christof Kheim
      ---studesnbldr
      christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
      Christof Kheim
      ---studesnbldr
      ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

Shawn sent the photos to me to post. Lordy, they take time to load![}] Anyway, here they are (they look like Wagonaire glass to me);

I'll post some more tomorrow. I don't have any more time to upload them
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Shawn sent the photos to me to post. Lordy, they take time to load![}] Anyway, here they are (they look like Wagonaire glass to me);

I'll post some more tomorrow. I don't have any more time to upload them
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The ones with the chrome strip and handle are like Champ Pickup sliding rear windows on Deluxe cabs, BUT they look too long. The shorter ones with handle and angle cut look a little like 2dr. wagon, but without dimensions it's hard to say.

I really think they are NOT Studebaker, the long ones are WAY too long. None are Wagonaire. Maybe early 2 dr. GMC/Chevy. Suburban.

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The ones with the chrome strip and handle are like Champ Pickup sliding rear windows on Deluxe cabs, BUT they look too long. The shorter ones with handle and angle cut look a little like 2dr. wagon, but without dimensions it's hard to say.

I really think they are NOT Studebaker, the long ones are WAY too long. None are Wagonaire. Maybe early 2 dr. GMC/Chevy. Suburban.

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What does the etching on the glass in the corners say? I don't believe the smaller frameless ones are from a Studebaker. From what I can see in your above photo of the smaller ones, the etching looks round and about the same size as an older Triplex Glass logo from an English car. Studebaker glass usually came from PPG, and would be marked accordingly, along with 'Herculite' if it was tempered or 'Duplate' if it was laminated.

Craig

Comment

What does the etching on the glass in the corners say? I don't believe the smaller frameless ones are from a Studebaker. From what I can see in your above photo of the smaller ones, the etching looks round and about the same size as an older Triplex Glass logo from an English car. Studebaker glass usually came from PPG, and would be marked accordingly, along with 'Herculite' if it was tempered or 'Duplate' if it was laminated.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys! And to Studeclunker for posting the pics!

For everyone's info, the etching in the corner is "TriPlex".

I'll take a few measurements tonite and post them on here!

Thanks again folks! I'm sure with everyone's input I can figure out what they belong to.

I started in the Studebaker direction only because the guy I got them from recalled his ol' man used to drive Studebakers so I figured that was a good place to start.

I've since found out there are still a couple of relics out in the woods behind the house. I'm going to check them out sometime and see if there's anything salvagable on them. They're not wagons so I know the glass didn't come out of them but I'll check them out anyway!

I'll be back!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys! And to Studeclunker for posting the pics!

I'll take a few measurements tonite and post them on here!

Thanks again folks! I'm sure with everyone's input I can figure out what they belong to.

I started in the Studebaker direction only because the guy I got them from recalled his ol' man used to drive Studebakers so I figured that was a good place to start.

I've since found out there are still a couple of relics out in the woods behind the house. I'm going to check them out sometime and see if there's anything salvagable on them. They're not wagons so I know the glass didn't come out of them but I'll check them out anyway!

I'll be back!

Comment

Damn!! My eyes must be better than I thought!

Its definitely not from a Studebaker. It will from an English car, as I mentioned above. Triplex was the biggest automotive glass supplier to the British auto industry at one time.

Craig.

Comment

Damn!! My eyes must be better than I thought!

Its definitely not from a Studebaker. It will from an English car, as I mentioned above. Triplex was the biggest automotive glass supplier to the British auto industry at one time.

Craig.

Comment

Well, I'll be the first to guess they belong to a
                            Mini Countryman wagon. The smaller ones are from the rear swing-out doors, and the larger ones are one of the two-piece rear quarter sections.[]

Craig

Comment

Well, I'll be the first to guess they belong to a
                              Mini Countryman wagon. The smaller ones are from the rear swing-out doors, and the larger ones are one of the two-piece rear quarter sections.[]

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X