Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to look for when checking out an engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for when checking out an engine?

I'm not real familiar with Studebaker engines other than maintaining them or bringing engines back to life that have sat for a long time, and when I come across an engine for my 62 GT, I imagine it will most likely not be in running condition unless I get real lucky.

What should I look for to attempt to determine if I am buying an engine or just 500 lbs of scrap iron?

Is there anything I could do or look at that would be a good sign, or conversely a sign to cut and run?

Well, Studebaker engines are fairly easy to turn over by hand. That will tell you if it is siezed somewhere. The valve covers remove very easily, and you can see how sludged up or clean (maintained) it is .
    If you have access to a bore scope, you can check the condition of the cylinder walls for deep scratches.
    After all these checks, you still wont know the condition of the bearings, cam lobes,cam gears, oil pump,etc.
    If you deem the condition good enough for purchase, then you can check further.
    It's definately worth getting an engine stand and a fresh gasket kit and checking out the lower end. Then you can clean up and seal annoying leaks and install with confidence.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Well...
      There's no good answer.
      I've resurrected them when I had to soak and beat the pistons out with a sledge and 2x4; used them as landfill when the pistons were one with the block.
      If the casting isn't cracked, determine what's worthwhile; consider your time and materials.
      There are a whole lot of Stude engines out there to be had. There are also a lot of engines with issues that are worth spending the time and effort to save.

My brother Kevin and his wife Nancy and son Caleb live in Warrenton. If you meet them, say hello.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

One thing to note is to remove the distributor and spin the oil pump ( counter clockwise ) to be sure you have oil in the bearing surfaces first. If you can, just pull the cam gear off the dist shaft, then chuck it in a drill and give it a go. Soak the cylinders in any of a variety of mixes to lube the rings first. I"ve been pleasantly surprised at how many times an engine, thats been sitting for decades, has fired up after just the simplest preparations.
        sals54

Comment

Perhaps you could make a new topic "Looking for Engine for 1962 GT" and see what happens, possibly someone has a suitable engine you can use. I'm confident the local club members would assist you with any issues.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
            Perhaps you could make a new topic "Looking for Engine for 1962 GT" and see what happens, possibly someone has a suitable engine you can use. I'm confident the local club members would assist you with any issues.
            I like this approach the best. Stude engines are plentiful, and with your unfamiliarity this would be your best plan- look for one already running.

That said, chances are pretty good that if you find a car that's just been sitting long-term and turns by hand, you can get it running without too much trouble, and it will serve you well. Naturally, the best bet is to go through everything, including knocking out all freeze plugs and thoroughly cleaning the water jackets; a crappy job that will never be easier than when it's out.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
              I already tried that http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...for-62-GT-Hawk

80+ views , 0 replies. but now I have a transmission so I'm only looking for an engine. The seacrch continues.... No big deal, I know they are out there, and I'm not really in a hurry, I've got a long way to go on this car, but my plan is to get the sheet metal off before winter and work on the frame, suspension, brakes, and driveline over the winter when it's too cold for paint.

Since then I've hooked up with a local chapter and will be meeting with them in a couple of weeks but if anyone can help in the meantime that would be great.

Comment

Working...
              X