No bids on 58 President,Why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No bids on 58 President,Why ?

Why no bids on this,too much $$ or am I missing something,there's one F/S in our club,comparable but a Commander for $9K

Looks good for the money to me.

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
    Why no bids on this,too much $$ or am I missing something,there's one F/S in our club,comparable but a Commander for $9K

Looks good for the money to me.

For Sale for 9K does not equal worth 9K. The car on ebay is a 4 door with a high starting bid, and no one wants to be the first to jump in at that level.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

four doors RULE!!!!

You know what's odd- Dad and I were wondering the same thing about that eBay President. I think that $5K is a deal~ Note that is has NO RESERVE. One other thing odd about that car- Presidents are generally loaded with options. This one has no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, no wonderbar radio, etc. And those colors aren't half bad either. If it weren't for the history that goes along with the '58 President Dad already owns- I'll bet he would've already bid by now- he likes it!!!

There are only two other things I'd do if it were my ad-
      take clearer pictures, and post pictures of the underside...
      The car IS in New Jersey afterall...
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I think it's another perfect example of why to never start with a high opening bid. This is supposed to be an auction, and auctions never start at the high value; otherwise they would not work- like this one.

If the seller started the bid at, say, $200 with a reserve, he/she would have a better chance- or at least get a good appraisal of market value. As much as we might love 'em, the 58 4-doors might be the least-popular model, especially to the hobby overall.

If listed as an auction, I bet it would be bid to $2500-3000. As is, I doubt it will get a bid. Sad but true.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I start all of my auctions at .99 cents with no reserve, regardless of the item. It works!

Comment

Could use a better write up. How's it running, any rust?
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              I think it's another perfect example of why to never start with a high opening bid. This is supposed to be an auction, and auctions never start at the high value; otherwise they would not work- like this one.

If the seller started the bid at, say, $200 with a reserve, he/she would have a better chance- or at least get a good appraisal of market value. As much as we might love 'em, the 58 4-doors might be the least-popular model, especially to the hobby overall.

If listed as an auction, I bet it would be bid to $2500-3000. As is, I doubt it will get a bid. Sad but true.
              Well, they've done something right in the past. 7000+ positive Feedback. Something's working for them.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I checked out that feedback quite far back looking for the Bad comments, they were about the Silver Content in their coins that were supposed to be .999% Silver and the buyer thought otherwise.
                They may not have a clue about Cars, all they ever sold was collectables and Coins.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  [B][COLOR=blue]They may not have a clue about Cars, all they ever sold was collectables and Coins.
                  That's the key. Whole different world selling items in the thousands than it is under $200.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

As much as we might love 'em, the 58 4-doors might be the least-popular model, especially to the hobby overall.
                    Of the old car hobby universe, we who love Studebakers are a small constellation. Those among us who love four-door Studebakers are a small solar system. Those who love the '58 President four-doors enough to buy might be considered the planet Pluto, which was downgraded as no longer even a planet. It's still way far out there, orbiting the sun, but it don't get no respect.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Yes, but for the hardtop roof line and those swell 14 inch hub caps, appearance-wise there's not much to love.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                        I start all of my auctions at .99 cents with no reserve, regardless of the item. It works!
                        I didn't know that you could start an auction at less than one cent <grin>. (I believe that you mean $0.99 or 99 cents.)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Of the old car hobby universe, we who love Studebakers are a small constellation. Those among us who love four-door Studebakers are a small solar system. Those who love the '58 President four-doors enough to buy might be considered the planet Pluto, which was downgraded as no longer even a planet. It's still way far out there, orbiting the sun, but it don't get no respect.

jack vines
                          Hi Jack

Good analogies! I've said it once, I'll say it again: " '53-'58 Sedans are the Rodney Dangerfield of Studebaker!" "They get no respect! No respect at all! I tell ya!"

Wonder what percentage of all the postwar models in the club they are? Actually, it would be interesting to read what the percentages are for all major model groups such as C & K, Larks, Avantis, trucks, etc.

Steve

Comment

I've said it once, I'll say it again: " '53-'58 Sedans are the Rodney Dangerfield of Studebaker!" "They get no respect! No respect at all! I tell ya!"
                            FWIW, we see plenty of love here for the long-wheelbase '56 President sedans. Seems just the '58s which don't find as many admirers.

However, what goes around comes around. Not that many years ago, the '58 Packard Hawk was an object of derision here. Now, when one comes up for sale, it is for big bucks and everyone knew all along what wonderful and rare Studes they were. Maybe the '58 sedan dogs will have their day.

jack vines
                            Last edited by PackardV8; 07-29-2011, 06:13 AM.
                            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                              Hi Jack

Good analogies! I've said it once, I'll say it again: " '53-'58 Sedans are the Rodney Dangerfield of Studebaker!" "They get no respect! No respect at all! I tell ya!"

Steve
                              Cathy and I both had these when we met. I had a 1957 President Classic and she had a 1953 Champion four door sedan.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X