Need Chome Shop Recommedation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Chome Shop Recommedation

I need to re-plate the rear bumper on my 1940 Champion. Can anybody recommend a plating shop in the Mpls-St Paul area? Thanks

reccomendation

do some research and keep in mind. Bumpers and pot metal are 2 different animals and should not be treated alike during the process. Know what to expect{finished results} in writing {written signed work order contract} before agreeing to plunking down your hard earned cash for the finished product. I have been burnt by pro chromers. Owners and workers are sometimes of 2 different mindsets. There are 2 chrome shops I won;t recommend but I won't mention them here. I didn't have a what to expect contract. I had no choice so I had to settle for crappola. Next time I'll be smarter. What pieces are you wanting refinished. Maybe someone here has them. Sometimes a not perfect used piece is even better than a mucked up crappola. Learn about the chroming process by visiting the chromers websites and ask questions. Don't be in a hurry to turn over your parts or money. Others will chime in. jimmijim
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 07-26-2011, 09:57 AM.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Good advice jimmijim....

Comment

After a nightmare with a local shop all of my stuff went to Jerry Forrester in GA. He posts here occasionally and has a fantastic reputation amongst club members. Everything he has done for me turned out better than I could have hoped for. Good Luck, Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Guys

I heard there was a good shop over in St. Paul but I can't recall the name.

Comment

I swithed all of our companies chrome to this shop 2 years ago and I have been very happy.

Highline Plating, Inc. - Cuba, MO - Chrome Plating
            https://www.industrynet.com/listing/...ne-plating-inc - CachedSimilar- Block all www.industrynet.com results
            Not helpful? You can block www.industrynet.com results when you're signed in to search.www.industrynet.com
            Car bumper refinishing, chrome plating & rebuilt rubber bumpers. Highline Plating, Inc. in Cuba, MO. Specializing in Chrome Plating.
            Show map of 105 Enterprise Drive, Cuba, MO 65453

Comment

I used JR Custom Plating in Forest Lake, MN for many of my pot metal pieces and was really impressed. I always expect plating places to be like Dante's vision of Hell, but it was the complete opposite. The employees were happy and helpful. Every job had a reserved area for its pieces. The place was clean and well lit. The owner and his Father were very helpful.

And most importantly, in the end, I really liked their work.

Also, they allow their customers to use their place as a waypoint for bumpers being plated in Brainerd and they said they had a stainless steel guy who could repair SS pieces.

Comment

I've been using Librandi's Plating in Middletown Pa. They do excellent work on pot metal, not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

I highly recommend Librandi's. I've dealt with customers in my business with plating horror stories. We've all heard them. I'm sure there are several professional platers out there. Librandi's is simply one of them. They are true professionals. They are expensive but only because they do Pebble Beach show quality chrome. They are business professionals, not simple trades persons who plate but are poor managers and business people. Librandi is a high quality plater and trust worthy business in that they photo items received, provide delivery estimates and typically live by whatever commitments they make and will advise if they can not. But it will cost you. If you are looking for a budget plating, don't check in with Librandi. Check in with Bumper Boyz in California. They specialize in bumpers, are reasonable, do a decent job and can exchange yours at a local car show.

TT

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Tom View Post
                    I highly recommend Librandi's. I've dealt with customers in my business with plating horror stories. We've all heard them. I'm sure there are several professional platers out there. Librandi's is simply one of them. They are true professionals. They are expensive but only because they do Pebble Beach show quality chrome. They are business professionals, not simple trades persons who plate but are poor managers and business people. Librandi is a high quality plater and trust worthy business in that they photo items received, provide delivery estimates and typically live by whatever commitments they make and will advise if they can not. But it will cost you. If you are looking for a budget plating, don't check in with Librandi. Check in with Bumper Boyz in California. They specialize in bumpers, are reasonable, do a decent job and can exchange yours at a local car show.

TT
                    BumperBoyz bars look OK, but I've seen them start to rust within a few years if you keep your car outside. The plating seems very light in my experience with them.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Highly recommend----

9705 State Road 38
                      Hagerstown, IN 47346
                      Phone# (866) 489-4089
                      Int'l # (765) 489-4089

Just sent them some Jaguar XKE parts to have replated. They do great work.
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I had Librandi's do a project for me that was not auto related, some of the pieces were steel, others brass. They met thier deadline, stayed in touch with me throught the entire process, and did a first class job that has held up under heavy use. I have no clue as to how expensive they are in relation to other shops as they are the only ones I have used, but after dealing with them, they will get all my business.

I know they are not local to St. Paul, MN, but UPS delivers.

Comment

Nice to hear another good testimonial for Librandi. It's all quite simple. You get what you pay for. Of course we all want perfection. But reality says pay Librandi and get perfection or Bumber Boyz and be prepared for a nice looking product for a sharp driver with a minor issue or two, like stress cracks, thin plating, flash, polish or grind marks. etc. TT

Comment

I used Performance Polishing in Zimmerman, MN. 763-274-0904. His name is Art. I know a couple other people from the North Star Chapter have used him also.
                            He sends the bumpers out however, and it can take a while. He does good polishing on stainless too, but again, don't be in a hurry. He did all my chrome on my 60 lark that I gave him in March. I got most of it back, but still waiting on a few pieces.
                            Incidently, my bumpers were $399 and he sends them out somewhere.
                            I could have bought a newly chromed one in Springfield for $350 and had my driver quality core to sell, so check around.

Here's a picture of my behind (lol), and the front. The bumpers were flaw-less and I was scared to mount them, thinking I might drop it. The grille mesh came out awesome.
                            As you can see, I am still waiting for the turn signal housings. Something flaked during the process before they were finished and they are geting re-done.

Originally posted by cortica37 View Post
                            I need to re-plate the rear bumper on my 1940 Champion. Can anybody recommend a plating shop in the Mpls-St Paul area? Thanks
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by gohdes; 07-28-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X