X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator conversion help

Hi All,
    Working on my 61 Lark Wagon,
    Well after getting my A/C installed, it was time to upgrade to an alternator. The old generator just couldn't keep up with the elect fans and a/c fans running. I decided to to the honda style conversion like this:

Using this wiring diagram:

Went pretty well with the mechanics, the problem is I can't get a charge.
    I have the red wire to ground, the white 10 ga to the batt lug and the white/black to the field. Not sure if the alternator is bad or if I did something incorrectly, but I'm not getting anything out of the alternator, even taking volt readings right off of it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by marks914; 07-26-2011, 05:54 AM.

Here's a diagram of what I did to my 60 truck using a delco Alt .
    There is a 20 omh resistor on the ignition wire because without it the rpm has to get real high before the charge will start .

sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Yeah I was wondering if I had to add a resistor but I am not getting anything even when I rev it up, Im starting to wonder if the new alt is bad.

Comment

Just had the alternator checked at the parts store, seems to work fine. maybe the field is not getting energized?

Comment

I'd suggest going to a delco 1 wire alt , that way you eliminate the voltage regulator
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

You know this is an externally regulated alternator, of course. I would check your voltage regulator to be sure it is not burned out. I have a Honda alternator with the new solid state voltage regulator in my conversion, and I am very happy with it.
            The Delco 10S is internally regulated, as are most modern alternators. Randy Rundle at fifth avenue ( http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com ) has an adapter for the Delco that lets it start charging as soon as it starts to turn, and also keeps the car from dieseling when you shut it off.

Comment

Thanks yes it is externally regulated. Everything was fine, just the fans and a/c were too much of a draw. Ill check the regulator as well

Comment

It sounds to me like your field is not getting 12 volts. Try wiring your field to switched 12 volt current, maybe to the accessory terminal on the ignition switch, and see if that fixes it. According to the wiring chart you reference, the "Bat" terminal on the alternator should go to the "A" terminal on your voltage regulator. The voltage regulator will send it to the battery using the wire that is on the "B" terminal.

Comment

You did not mention replacing the '61 (3) Terminal Generator Voltage Regulator with an Alternator Voltage Regulator with TWO terminals.

Bob Johnstone's webside is showing installing the Honda Alternator on a '63-'64 Stude. with an Alternator.

Also the factory wiring diagram will not help since it is for a Generator.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys,
                    I installed a VR from a 69 Chrysler. I called the alternator rebuild guy and he suggested that unit. Now its over-charging (16V). I guess I will just get a delco 1-wire and call it a day.

Comment

Why not just use a stock regulator for '63-up Studes? Those were alternator-powered cars.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I thought about getting a 63-64 VR, It looks like the same one I had on the car. I will go down to the parts store and see what they have
                        Last edited by marks914; 07-27-2011, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X