GOOD NEWS! and a little bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOD NEWS! and a little bad news

Been a year and a half since ive had my studebaker now. yesterday i cruised through my neighborhood in her for the first time. Still isnt perfect and needs lots of work of course but was certainly fun. looks like ill be able to drive it to first day of my senior year to so thats cool.
    Pic of her parked outside house for the first time. (she isnt allowed on driveway yet) haha

Bad news is this morning i started her up just fine. turned it off came back later and tried to start her up. heard solenoid click but starter didnt turn. took starter out and popped the band around the end off and it looks pretty clean in there. opened it up and cleaned it a few months ago. put the starter back in and tried turning it by bypassing the solenoid. it moved just a little and would stop again. think i just need brushes or do i need to order the whole starter rebuild kit. dad said it was 80 bucks or something i think

Is the battery fully charged and serviceable?

Comment

Cable connections clean and tight...all of them? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You want good HEAVY cables if you are still 6V. Most local parts stores dont carry anything heavy enough for your application. Have your starter tested independently (out of car) and let us know whats up. If it is a starter problem I am sure someone here can save you a few bucks with a good used one. I have a couple here in SC myself. Good Luck, Steve
        sigpic

Comment

I had my starter rebuilt by a local shop. It acted horribly. Even would stay engaged on the ring gear. Bought the rebuild kit,including the end plate, and had another shop re-rebuild. Not a problem since. And a good 6V battery and 00 cables from a farm supply and I haven't had another starter problem. Good luck.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Just taking the starter apart, cleaning and lubricating it often works wonders, and if there is something wrong, often it will be evident upon disassembly. They aren't complicated. Some models it can be a little tricky getting the brushes installed again.

You could have one or more brushes hanging up in the brush holders, and not making good contact with the commutator.

Do be sure to check the battery ground cable.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Cables, clean contacts, and charge; the 3 (or 4) Cs of six volt. When everything is right, they will turn over fast, but even a less than great contact can leave you in the dust or thinking something isn't working, as will having a 12 volt size cable

Comment

Make sure the bushings are good and tight, Use cables tha are suitable for diesel application.

My grandson Joshua (11) also drove his Lark over the weekend, but only around the farm. I trailered it from our shop in town to our chapter meeting, about 8 miles, then drove it home. Josh wanted to drive it so I put it on some 2 path roads on our place and let him enjoy himself.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

I cleaned up all the connection with a brush real good. Dad told me ac delco will do factory warranted rebuilds of their old products. gunna take this one out and have it rebuilt and put up on a shelf for later. in the mean time anyone got one in good shape i can buy off them?

Comment

Working...
                  X