Steering linkage picture request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering linkage picture request

I'm finishing up putting together my presentation to Borgeson for the manual to P/S box conversion. I need clear visualization of the Studebaker car front steering to send them.

The 62-64 manual has exaxtly what I need under 'Steering'. I went as far as to cut the page from my manual and scan it; that opened Photosmart where I sharpened it and enlarged it a bit. But try as I might, I cannot figure how to save it to my pictures so I will be able to attach it to the e-mail

So, my requests are:

1. Can someone copy, enlarge, clean, and send that picture to me?

2. Also, a clear photo of what the manual shows to go along with the drawing would be helpful.

3. Does anyone have clear photos of a clean Saginaw box mounted in place without the engine in the way?

4. Any quality drawings anyone might have or do could also help.

My goal is to present the best case I can to Borgeson, with the hope that they will take it on. The more info the better! I'll send a link to our thread on the Tech page along with a written summary; and the more visual aids, the better. I will send it and do the follow-up calls, and keep everyone posted.

Please help if you can. I want to get this done and sent tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks in advance!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I've been following this discussion of a aftermarket PS with some interest. I found one of the "rare" Saginaw PS units used from late '53 through '57 and have it in my '53 so I don't have a need to do any conversions but if I ever do another car it would be something of interest.

I don't have the '62-'64 shop manual? you ref Bob but here are some pictures from the '53-'54 version that are essentially the same, except for the sway bar setup. The front of the car is at the bottom in the top view and at the top in the bottom view.

I am sorry these are not too good since I just photo'd the manual (not a scan). I don't have access to a scanner right now.

So, in this steering setup the box is behind the cross member and a right turn causes the pitman arm coming off the steering box to swing forward.

I also attached a picture of the Saginaw offset PS box. Those were purchased from GM and used on some of their own cars of the same era. Another picture in the manual (not copied here) clearly shows that the worm gear from the steering wheel shaft in UNDER the sector gear that attaches to the pitman arm shaft.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. From what little I've been able to gather, the front suspension/steering is pretty much the same from 51-66, except for the steering box. Those pictures will help.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob, I am in the process off parting out a "64 Wagonaire with manual steering. There is no engine or trans in the car. Do you need a specific photo that I can take
        that will help this process?
        Note the car (what's left of it is sitting on the ground at this time)
        George King
        Grants Pass, Oregon
        64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Thanks, George. A shot straight onto the side of the box from inside the engine bay showing how the box mounts to the frame would be great.
          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Here is one angle.

Comment

Bob, got you pics. PM me your email addy and I'll send them off to you.
              I took several angles so you have a couple to pick from.
              George King
              Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

Thanks Alan, I'll use that one too!
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Here are a couple of others showing the Saginaw PS box from the inside w/the linkage to the tie rods.
                  Attached Files

Jeff in ND

Comment

Bob, pix sent, did you receive?
                    George King
                    Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

Yes!

----------------
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

If these guys get to the point of actually producing a set up for the Studebakers, why can't you get the blueprints from the museum that give exact engineering dimensions? I am clueless about how to go about engineering such an upgrade. However, I would think that a good mechanical engineer with the knowledge of negotiating a cad-cam program and having the correct dimensions, would be able to produce a workable system.

After that, it is a "bean counter" business decision.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          If these guys get to the point of actually producing a set up for the Studebakers, why can't you get the blueprints from the museum that give exact engineering dimensions? I am clueless about how to go about engineering such an upgrade. However, I would think that a good mechanical engineer with the knowledge of negotiating a cad-cam program and having the correct dimensions, would be able to produce a workable system.

After that, it is a "bean counter" business decision.
                          Actually, it's all a bean-counter decision. What I'm doing right now is trying to prove feasibility to the financial arm. If they decide there will be enough of a market they'll do it; if not, not. If they decide to do this, they don't make new boxes, they reman and alter originals. As explained in my thread on this, they take an actual car into the shop and build to fit; it's unlikely they'd ever need the blueprints. I already explained how they do this in the other thread.

All I'm doing in this thread is gathering visual aids. They have never had a Studebaker in the facility, so they have no point of reference (other than the early Vettes that were also center-steer).

They may not need everything I'm sending; but it's better to give too much info than not enough.
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Got it!!!!! I apologize for the distraction.

Dragging one in, cutting, welding, (trial and error) is the only way I would be able to do it. The difference in theirs and mine is you might actually want to ride in theirs!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not at all, John. Discussion and clarification are GOOD things!
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X