X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #3

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Besides driving our Studebakers, this type of background is the best thing out there. We get to see the problems the engineers had (long thin batteries and dual headlights) and the progress they were making with other things, Diesel engines, floor shifts, etc.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Comment

Interesting, Dick.

Look how close to the Standard's introduction they were entertaining single headlamps. I'm not sure of the exact introduction date, but with this meeting being January 7, 1963, the introduction was pretty close at hand to be considering something like headlamp configuration.

Further, consider how compressed time would be at this point in the company's history: Exactly one year after the date of this meeting, they would be hustling around trying to figure out how to get rid of distribution lots full of unsold '64s and answer a million questions about the production shift to Hamilton. Wow. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This is fun, to actually have some new information after all these years and to gain some insight into the decision making process. I would guess the process was very different at GM. I don't think they would be this far down the process when they figured out that the battery wasn't a good choice.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Richard; This series is the best thing to happen to SCD since Harry Barnes! Thank you for doing this work. Thanks to our supreme being for opening Mr. Lamberti in choosing you to receive his father's papers after all these years. He hit the jackpot with you, we hit the jackpot with Mr. Lamberti and you. I await each review with great anticipation.

Frank Drumheller
          Locust Grove, VA
          60S-W6
          M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

This is great reading! Will someone remind me of what brand of diesel engine they had in this taxi cab?

I did some searching and found it to be a Perkins diesel, which by the way has been a division of Caterpillar since 1998.
            Last edited by Milaca; 07-23-2011, 10:47 AM.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I think it was a Perkins diesel but I'm not sure.

Comment

Thanks for the insight Mr. Quinn. Is it o.k. with you to put inserts of this information in Chapter newsletters for all the members that are not on the forum.

Comment

Some interesting items. Thanks!
                  Some comments:
                  1) Headlights - "1960" I think that they are referring to the 1961 models that came out in 1960.
                  2) Diesel Taxi - I believe that this is the car that was shown at the SDC Atlantic Zone Meet last week.
                  3) Water Leaks - My FiL purchased a new 1963 Cruiser. It leaked at the A-pillar. The dealer couldn't stop the leaks. They used to dry it out with a hair dryer. The car had a garage. I told them not to worry about it and maybe replace the carpet in a few years. They usually kept a car for about ten years. They liked the Cruiser, but the water leak bothered them so much that they traded it in in less than a year on a 1964 Ambassador (that was much worse than the 1964 Furys that my father and I bought new).
                  4) Sliding Roof - Is anyone familiar with this "locking mechanism"? First I thought of the Skytops, but now I believe that they mean Wagonaires. Wagonaires were about half way through the 1963 production by these minutes. Was there a change?
                  5) Hawk Seats- I have seen Hawk seats that were raised, but didn't know of any problem or change in the other direction.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                    Thanks for the insight Mr. Quinn. Is it o.k. with you to put inserts of this information in Chapter newsletters for all the members that are not on the forum.
                    I have no objection Doug. Just put some type of credit line at the top using the information I posted in "The Lamberti papers #1."
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by 55 prez View Post
                      I think it was a Perkins diesel but I'm not sure.
                      ***********************************************************************

You are correct, studegary, the black 1963 2 dr. at Gettysburg Zone Meet was one of the experimental (Chicago taxi) diesel cars. There was also one experimental diesel Zip Van built in 1963. These experimental taxi units were powered by the Perkins diesel engine. At that time, Perkins diesels were of English manufacture.

The 1963 Lark, owned by Torrey Kirby of Inwood, WV- model code 63S-F4, body number 211, serial # 63S-36359

The 1963 Zip Van, formerly owned by Asa Hall- model code 8E5C-FC, body # ?, serial # E5-FC-1711 (present owner not known). The Zip Van was powered by a Cerlist diesel engine of Spanish manufacture.

Frank Drumheller
                      Locust Grove, VA
                      60S-W6
                      M16-52- Boyer-bodied 1948 fire truck
                      Last edited by studelark; 07-24-2011, 03:56 PM. Reason: name/data corrections

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
                        ***********************************************************************

You are correct, studegary, the black 1962 2 dr. at Gettysburg Zone Meet was one of the experimental (Chicago taxi) diesel cars. Along with the one experimental diesel Zip Van, these experimental units were powered by the Perkins diesel engine. At that time, Perkins diesels were of English manufacture.

The 1963 Lark, owned by Torrey Kirby of Inwood, WV- model code 62S-F4, body number 211, serial # 63S-36359

The 1963 Zip Van, formerly owned by Asa Hall- model code 8E5C-FC, body # ?, serial # E5-FC-1711 (present owner not known)

Frank Drumheller
                        Thanks, Frank.
                        Are you sure you want the "1962" and "62S" in your post? I thought that I remember the car as being a 1963 with 63S body.
                        It is strange for a taxi prototype to be a two door sedan.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Fascinating stuff. I could have designed a better (not necessarily good) drip tray for the Wagonaire if they had asked me, even back in 61 or so, but I guess there were real problems with draining the swamp with all those 'gators.

Offhand, does anyone know the model and specs (displacement, hp and torque) of the Diesel?

Somewhere I have a Turning Wheels with a picture etc on the diesel Lark, and it is a Perkins. What I always found odd is that they used a 2 door instead of a 4 door, especially since the target was possibly taxi use, but then again, if it was only 60 mph in the shorter lighter car, what would it have been with the heavier longer wheelbase taxi? Yikes!

As a young kid, I knew of all sorts of people who were buying diesel Mercedes and Peugeots (pre-turbochargers, so not fast) and they took the time to explain the particular advantages of them. I suppose thats why I have a Peugeot and two VWs, all diesels, in the drive today. I know several people who would have purchased a diesel North American car if they could have gotten one back in 62 or 63.

Comment

Richard

I'm not sure how many of these you will choose to post but it will not be enough for me.

I find them a most interesting in-site into the workings of the BoD. Thanks a million for your dedication to the marque and for your postings.

Bob

Comment

Jan. 7, 1963 Dept. Heads meeting

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Some interesting items. Thanks!
                              Some comments:
                              1) Headlights - "1960" I think that they are referring to the 1961 models that came out in 1960.
                              /Cut/
                              4) Sliding Roof - Is anyone familiar with this "locking mechanism"? First I thought of the Skytops, but now I believe that they mean Wagonaires. Wagonaires were about half way through the 1963 production by these minutes. Was there a change?
                              5) Hawk Seats- I have seen Hawk seats that were raised, but didn't know of any problem or change in the other direction.
                              (1)My thought exactly on the dual headlights, maybe sometimes these top level people were not as close to the "product" as they could have been.

(4)The Wagonaire safety locks are the little chromed knobs that look like the latches for sliding windows in '54-'59 wagons and Champ Truck rear sliders, they were installed along the tracks on both sides at some point in Prod. on the '64's to prevent movement, apparently in case the rear lock handle either failed or was not locked.

I think it was always a concern that children either using the 3rd. seat or riding in the cargo area could be injured or close to decapitated. Hence the warning Decal on the dash.
                              The '64's also had a more secure lock on the rear (2nd.) seat back, that my '63 did not have.

(5)On the Hawk seats, my guess is they were going to redesign the seat frame to lower it as it says, but I think the Factory was closed before it ever happened. It is possible that removing the hardwood blocks (if installed) solved that issue temporarily at least.

REALLY, interesting stuff!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X