X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #1

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Good find!! Do you know how Mr. Lamberti came to contact you?

Comment

Sherwood Egbert (left) and N. A. Lamberti send off ten new Avantis in this undated photo. The Studebaker transporters were operated by the Robert Walker Co. of South Bend.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I would be interested in anything relative to Snuffy Smith Motor Company in Dallas Texas.
        Peter Bishop

Comment

Fascinating, Dick. I'm sure we'll all welcome any venue by which the information is dispersed.

How wonderful that his son Michael had such wherewithal and respect for history that he kept them all these years and sought a good home for them when the time came. I'm sure you adequately expressed the Studebaker hobby's gratitude to him.

Now, on what could be a related matter, and not to bring up a touchy subject, but have you abandoned your earlier practice of allowing your collector cars with catalytic converters to warm up in the garage before being exercised?<GGG> BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sherwood Egbert (left) and N. A. Lamberti send off ten new Avantis in this undated photo. The Studebaker transporters were operated by the Robert Walker Co. of South Bend.
            The apostrophe in Avantis; groan!

More to the point, can anyone make out the wording after Avanti on the second trailer's sign? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I think it says "Avanti--The Flying Wedge".

Richard...this is wonderful! I would do anything to read about those papers on a recurring base in Turning Wheels!
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Another great find, Richard!!!

As you likely know with your 35+ years of researching the Studebaker Corporation records, there are MANY, MANY binders and vertical storage boxes containing carbon copies of just about every letter/memo written by Studebaker Presidents and other top officials now safely stored in the SNM Archives.

This most significant "find'' I came across while categorizing each and every binder/box was the minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting from Aug. 1963 thru Jan. 1964. During this period, the Board met twice a month, alternating meeting sites between South Bend and New York. Perhaps it is the most detailed accounting that exists of "How to Dismantle Studebaker Corporationwalk awayTurning Wheels

What a "power-packed" issue each would make. How about it Mr. TW Editor. Can you persuade Mr. Quinn to do the "Lamberti Papers" and Mr. Beckman to do the "Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
                Last edited by Welcome; 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

More to the point, can anyone make out the wording after Avanti on the second trailer's sign? BP
                  The Leading Edge?

This is very exciting Richard, I look forward to seeing and hearing more about this information.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Fascinating, Dick. I'm sure we'll all welcome any venue by which the information is dispersed.

How wonderful that his son Michael had such wherewithal and respect for history that he kept them all these years and sought a good home for them when the time came. I'm sure you adequately expressed the Studebaker hobby's gratitude to him.

Now, on what could be a related matter, and not to bring up a touchy subject, but have you abandoned your earlier practice of allowing your collector cars with catalytic converters to warm up in the garage before being exercised?<GGG> BP
                    Just think, Bob! A copy of that letter-to-the-President you wrote which you tore up into little pieces and threw away could be lurking in those files!!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      Just think, Bob! A copy of that letter-to-the-President you wrote which you tore up into little pieces and threw away could be lurking in those files!!! Craig
                      Well, sort of, Craig.

What you're thinking of is the letter my mother wrote Sherwood Egbert, hoping to get me a job at Studebaker as soon as I graduated from high school and, thus, quit driving her nuts. The letter I tore up was the answer she received from him. In a moment of youthful indescretion (I was 17 at the time, remember), I was irritated that she had "bothered" him when he had such important things to do.

Sigh.

On a happier note, both the up-coming August and September Co-Operators contain some personal, unique, previously-unpublished period items from my 1963 files. I wasn't totally stupid...although, admittedly, I'm sure there are those back then who would have contested that assertion. BP
                      Last edited by BobPalma; 07-23-2011, 04:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Well, sort of, Craig.

What you're thinking of is the letter my mother wrote Sherwood Egbert, hoping to get me a job at Studebaker as soon as I graduated from high school and, thus, quit driving her nuts. The letter I tore up was the answer she received from him. In a moment of youthful indescretion (I was 17 at the time, reemember), I was irritated that she had "bothered" him when he had such important things to do.
                        Yep, that was the one...in the meantime, keep your hopes up!

Craig

Comment

YES! Super idea!

I am sure I join MANY other long time SDC Members who would love to know the "real story" of the murder of the SASCO Division!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Very exciting news Richard. I look forward to reading as much of this history as is possible to provide. Thank you for your research on this.

Dave Bonn
                            Valencia, PA

Comment

The apostrophe in Avantis; groan!

BP
                              My thought exactly. Apostrophe abuse existed even in the signmaker's rank's. Luckily there isn't a year written with the apostrophe after, as in 63' Avanti (63 FOOT Avanti!)<G>

Apostrophe abuse seem's to be a pervasive di'sease.

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X