Wide white wall tires for 60 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide white wall tires for 60 Lark

Anybody have a set of wide whites for a Stude in 15 inch. I'd like to put them on a 60 conv my daughter is getting.

Coker sells them, new. Mine were about $185 a pop. I installed 205/15 radials (and I know that's likely too big). As Mr. Palma has written, 195s are probably the optimum for my old Stude rims.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Also consider Diamond Back tires. www.dbtires.com I have had much better results with theirs vs Cokers.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

many black-wall tires have white sidewalls covered with black 'rubber'. You can see on U-Tube how to convert your blackwalls to whitewalls if you want to go the CASO route.

alan hagan

Comment

I would like to find a used set and save some money as I would imagine I will eventually go with radials. To show the car, the wide white bias ply would be just fine.

Comment

Spend the money for new, after all it's your daughter depending on them. I know tires aren't cheap, but who can say how the used ones were treated.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Last Summer, I put a set of Cooper radial whitewalls on my '59 Lark VI. They're 195R 15s and they ride and handle beautifully. They're not wide whites, but they cost about half the cost of the Cokers.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I don't believe wide white walls were an offered option in 1960, though I do believe they add a bit to the appearance.
                Considering your daughter will be riding on them, if you want wide whites, seek assurance. Buy new!
                I also recommend Diamond Back. You choose your brand (Michelin, Cooper, Firestone, whatever) and they add the WW. The four I got this spring were manufactured in December, 2010. They are not cheap but, would you go cheap on your daughter?
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm don't want dry rotted, bald, ancient tires! But if somebody has a set that is a couple years old for a fraction of the price of new, I would put them on the car and let her drive it and not worry even a little bit. If she decides to go on longer trips or use it for other than show, I would certainly but a new set of radials. Biased ply tires themselves are almost dangerous when compared to a radial.

Comment

[QUOTE=rockne10;563904]I don't believe wide white walls were an offered option in 1960, though I do believe they add a bit to the appearance./Cut/QUOTE]

Wide Whitewalls were used up to 1962, the narrow white walls were used '63 to '66.

Click image for larger version

Name:	62Daytona and GT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1670272
                    Thank you Richard Quinn!
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-22-2011, 08:17 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X