Progress report on the 52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress report on the 52

I got my 52 back from Mark Lawton who rewired it for me, so I spent the last few days working on it. When I test drove it after Mark brought it back, I noticed that the driveshaft was scraping the floor upon acceleration. I had left the upper part of the cradle for the original 2 piece driveshaft in place, so I cut out the top part. I drove it again and it didn't scrape, but it is still mighty close to the floor.

Anyway today I decided to paint the window trim, dash and trunk. The original owner had glued a 5X7 card on the top of the dash right above the speedometer so that he could record each time he changed the oil. When I removed the card, it pulled the paint off. Also the kid who bought the car just before me had painted the trunk black with a rattle can.

I had some gray paint mixed that came close to the original interior color so I taped the car and mixed the paint up and got ready to spray. About that time Murphy showed his ugly head. When I tried to connect the air hose to the sprayer, the quick release came apart. Here I was with a sprayer full of paint and no way to hook air to it. Luckily, I had not thrown away an old leaky air hose, so I found it in the shed and hooked it up.

Taping was a real job, especially the interior. I didn't want to take out the dash so I just taped everything.

I sprayed the trunk, the dash and even the steering wheel. Everything came out OK except the dash. It was very hard to get the sprayer up to the top of the dash, and it kept shooting out air. The dash is real thin on the top, and I am not satisfied. I was thinking of gluing some fabric on the dash, but I think I will just bite the bullet and respray it. You can't really tell by this picture.

I installed a tach where the clock would have been.

Here is the trunk before.

And here it is after it is painted.

Leonard Shepherd

Lookin' good!! Is a trip to South Bend going to be the Shake Down drive? [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Lookin' good!! Is a trip to South Bend going to be the Shake Down drive? [8D]

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude
        Everything came out OK except the dash. It was very hard to get the sprayer up to the top of the dash, and it kept shooting out air. The dash is real thin on the top, and I am not satisfied. I was thinking of gluing some fabric on the dash, but I think I will just bite the bullet and respray it. You can't really tell by this picture.
        Leonard Shepherd
        Looking good Leonard! You sure are moving on with this car, wish I could work this fast.

Do you use a suction-type gun? If so, you may want to consider getting one of the small (touch-up) gravity fed guns, you can tilt them significantly and still get good flow. I have a cheapie that seems to spray really good. Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, even some of the 'independant' parts houses carry these. Mine is a HVLP gun, but you probably can get a 'traditional' type gun too. However, I really do like the HVLP. The only downside of the HVLP is that if there is more than just a slight breeze, it makes it harder to paint because the wind seems to effect the pattern...or maybe it's just an operator error<G>.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude
          Everything came out OK except the dash. It was very hard to get the sprayer up to the top of the dash, and it kept shooting out air. The dash is real thin on the top, and I am not satisfied. I was thinking of gluing some fabric on the dash, but I think I will just bite the bullet and respray it. You can't really tell by this picture.
          Leonard Shepherd
          Looking good Leonard! You sure are moving on with this car, wish I could work this fast.

Do you use a suction-type gun? If so, you may want to consider getting one of the small (touch-up) gravity fed guns, you can tilt them significantly and still get good flow. I have a cheapie that seems to spray really good. Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, even some of the 'independant' parts houses carry these. Mine is a HVLP gun, but you probably can get a 'traditional' type gun too. However, I really do like the HVLP. The only downside of the HVLP is that if there is more than just a slight breeze, it makes it harder to paint because the wind seems to effect the pattern...or maybe it's just an operator error<G>.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote: Lookin' good!! Is a trip to South Bend going to be the Shake Down drive?

Matthew Burnette
            Yeah, I think so. I still haven't seen how it does on the road. I need to get an exhaust system before I can take it out.

Comment

quote: Lookin' good!! Is a trip to South Bend going to be the Shake Down drive?

Matthew Burnette
              Yeah, I think so. I still haven't seen how it does on the road. I need to get an exhaust system before I can take it out.

Comment

quote:If so, you may want to consider getting one of the small (touch-up) gravity fed guns, you can tilt them significantly and still get good flow. I have a cheapie that seems to spray really good. Harbor Freight
                That is a good idea Paul. I was just at Harbor Freight yesterday, but I need to go back.

And Dave, That Toy-auto looks good!

Comment

quote:If so, you may want to consider getting one of the small (touch-up) gravity fed guns, you can tilt them significantly and still get good flow. I have a cheapie that seems to spray really good. Harbor Freight
                  That is a good idea Paul. I was just at Harbor Freight yesterday, but I need to go back.

And Dave, That Toy-auto looks good!

Comment

You shouldn't feel too bad about your painting. When I sanded the window frames, I noticed that the factory had a big drip right in the middle of one. [:0]

Comment

You shouldn't feel too bad about your painting. When I sanded the window frames, I noticed that the factory had a big drip right in the middle of one. [:0]

Comment

I had one of those back in the 70s, but I have to say, I never rubbed down the hood!

Comment

I had one of those back in the 70s, but I have to say, I never rubbed down the hood!

Comment

But, painting is easy! <G> but, it's all in the prep work, and having the right materials at hand too! (and a heated paint booth) <G>

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

But, painting is easy! <G> but, it's all in the prep work, and having the right materials at hand too! (and a heated paint booth) <G>

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X