Ways to get new title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to get new title

Inherited a studebaker awhile back that has no title (lost), no lic plates, no reg. and no DMV records.
    Here in Washington state I'll have to wait 3 yrs or do the bond deal and have an inspection.
    How else does one go about getting a title without dealing with this BS ?
    I want to sell the car and think having a title would be a good thing ... don't want to wait for 3 yrs though.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Mikebuild View Post
    Inherited a studebaker awhile back that has no title (lost), no lic plates, no reg. and no DMV records.
    Here in Washington state I'll have to wait 3 yrs or do the bond deal and have an inspection.
    How else does one go about getting a title without dealing with this BS ?
    I want to sell the car and think having a title would be a good thing ... don't want to wait for 3 yrs though.

Thanks.
    It used to be quite easy to go through Broadway Title and get a title. They just applied for a title in a state that had lax rules and transfered it to you. Most states have caught on to that method and will make life difficult. If it were me, I'd go to the State office and work out a deal. If it is inherited as you say, there should be paperwork to help you. The bonded title route can work also. But the answer lies in your states DMV office.

Bob

Comment

was it inherited thru a will that specified at least a year and model? a serial number would make it easier. probably will need an atty to handle it.
      "your state may vary".
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

California allows you to make a "Statement of Facts" regarding the reason you do not have a title, you still need some way to prove ownership, like a bill of sale or other document. From that and if there are no records to the contrary, they will issue a new title for you. Of course there are fees involved. I would think most States would have a similar process.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Purchase a junk car that is the same model as your car that has a title card and transfer the serial number tags. Perhaps somebody here could sell you a title card along with serial number tags for your model of Stude?
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            Purchase a junk car that is the same model as your car that has a title card and transfer the serial number tags. Perhaps somebody here could sell you a title card along with serial number tags for your model of Stude?

If you are comfortable with that shady a deal, there is another less than desirable option. Make out a fake bill of sale from a non title state and apply for a title. That's what Broadway title does more or less. Note, both options are not legal, even though you are not intending fraud.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Warning! Stay away from the title service in Las Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE BAD NEWS!!!!! PM me and I will give you the name of the company.
              JS.
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Maybe just sell the car without a title, specifying lack thereof up front, and let the buyer take care of it. You will need to take a few dollars off the price, but those are dollars you would have spent jumping thru flaming hoops anyway.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                  Maybe just sell the car without a title, specifying lack thereof up front, and let the buyer take care of it. You will need to take a few dollars off the price, but those are dollars you would have spent jumping thru flaming hoops anyway.
                  Agree. Many folks are willing to tackle it for the right car.

How about some info on the car- what it is, condition, price?
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    Agree. Many folks are willing to tackle it for the right car.

How about some info on the car- what it is, condition, price?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

work with us, what year/model/etc., many of us have spare titles w/ vin tags, etc. for "wall art" (grin)

Comment

Follow his Craigslist ad link and you will see his 1956 Golden Hawk.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Here is a photo of the car in question:
                          sals54

Comment

Originally posted by oldcarfart View Post
                            work with us, what year/model/etc., many of us have spare titles w/ vin tags, etc. for "wall art" (grin)
                            Calvin!! Great to hear from you, it's been a long time. How are you doing?
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                              Calvin!! Great to hear from you, it's been a long time. How are you doing?
                              still kicking! I am haveing total replacement of left shoulder aug 29, had right one done dec 07 2009, little by little getting rebuilt. able to walk with minor assistance (crutch that looks like cane with arm loop) and thinking about male enhancement surgery........I have recently heard about a baby elephant trunk transplant but there are some odd side effects, I always was fun to watch if nothing else. y'all doing OK??

Comment

Working...
                              X