Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some general questions

Hi everyone
    I am just now getting into Studebakers and really like what i see..What is the diff. betweenthe hawks? i.e. silver, gold, power, flight? Also is the starliner a high end option package? Thanks for the info, and i really look forward to learning more

Floyd Manley
    Navarre, Fl

WOW, people have written books on this subject! Here is a brief breakdown on Hawks...

The Hawks were introduced in 1956. They were a facelift using the 53 coupe ( C body - Starlight ) and hardtop ( K body - Starliner ). The top of the line was the Golden Hawk. It used the hardtop K body. It had a 352 cu.in. Packard engine. It was the only Hawk with fiberglass fins on the rear fenders. Next was the Sky Hawk which also used the hardtop K body. It had the Studebaker 289 cu. in. V8. Next was the Power Hawk which used the coupe C body and had the 259 Studebaker V8, and last was the Flight Hawk which also used the coupe C body and had the Champion flathead 6 engine.

In 57 and 58 the Hawks were consolidated into two series. The Golden Hawk used the hardtop K body and a Studebaker 289 V8 with a supercharger. The Silver Hawk used the coupe C body and came with either the 289 V8 (but no supercharger) or the Champion flathead 6. In 59 the Golden Hawk was dropped and there was only a coupe body with either a 259 V8 or Champion 6. In 60 the name Silver was dropped but it was essentially the same car but the only engine was the 289 V8. The 61 was almost the same, but a 4 speed manual transmission was made available. In 62-64 the hardtop body was used and the Hawk got a restyle by Brooks Stevens. It had a Thunderbird type roof and was called the Gran Turismo Hawk. Only the 289 V8 was offered, but in 63 & 64 there was a choice of the R series high performance engines.

The word Starliner was just what the hardtops were called. There never was a name plate that said Starliner.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

WOW, people have written books on this subject! Here is a brief breakdown on Hawks...

The Hawks were introduced in 1956. They were a facelift using the 53 coupe ( C body - Starlight ) and hardtop ( K body - Starliner ). The top of the line was the Golden Hawk. It used the hardtop K body. It had a 352 cu.in. Packard engine. It was the only Hawk with fiberglass fins on the rear fenders. Next was the Sky Hawk which also used the hardtop K body. It had the Studebaker 289 cu. in. V8. Next was the Power Hawk which used the coupe C body and had the 259 Studebaker V8, and last was the Flight Hawk which also used the coupe C body and had the Champion flathead 6 engine.

In 57 and 58 the Hawks were consolidated into two series. The Golden Hawk used the hardtop K body and a Studebaker 289 V8 with a supercharger. The Silver Hawk used the coupe C body and came with either the 289 V8 (but no supercharger) or the Champion flathead 6. In 59 the Golden Hawk was dropped and there was only a coupe body with either a 259 V8 or Champion 6. In 60 the name Silver was dropped but it was essentially the same car but the only engine was the 289 V8. The 61 was almost the same, but a 4 speed manual transmission was made available. In 62-64 the hardtop body was used and the Hawk got a restyle by Brooks Stevens. It had a Thunderbird type roof and was called the Gran Turismo Hawk. Only the 289 V8 was offered, but in 63 & 64 there was a choice of the R series high performance engines.

The word Starliner was just what the hardtops were called. There never was a name plate that said Starliner.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Leonard, you forgot the Packard Hawks! In 1958, there were a few (588) Hawks built with the Packard name, called Packard Hawks. They are identical to the Golden Hawk mechanically, but have a fiberglass nose that has been called a "catfish mouth", and a trunk lid with a fake spare tire mount (called a "toilet seat"), and a leather interior with a leather armrest on the outside of the driver's door.

There are also infinite variations of the hawks that were built for export (KD- Knocked down) for assembly in oversea plants. Every once in a while one of those will turn up.

Comment

Leonard, you forgot the Packard Hawks! In 1958, there were a few (588) Hawks built with the Packard name, called Packard Hawks. They are identical to the Golden Hawk mechanically, but have a fiberglass nose that has been called a "catfish mouth", and a trunk lid with a fake spare tire mount (called a "toilet seat"), and a leather interior with a leather armrest on the outside of the driver's door.

There are also infinite variations of the hawks that were built for export (KD- Knocked down) for assembly in oversea plants. Every once in a while one of those will turn up.

Comment

Leonard, to see some Packard Hawks go to www.packardhawk.com
            Even though only 588 were built, over 240 still exist. An amazing survival rate.

Mike

Comment

Leonard, to see some Packard Hawks go to www.packardhawk.com
              Even though only 588 were built, over 240 still exist. An amazing survival rate.

Mike

Comment

How could I forget the Packard Hawk! [:0]

I was thinking of buying this one back in 1983, but it needed too much work.

Comment

How could I forget the Packard Hawk! [:0]

I was thinking of buying this one back in 1983, but it needed too much work.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Since Floyd asked about Studebakers, Leonard didn't "forget" Packard Hawks. I know that I am not the expert on them here, but I remember the exterior arm rests as being vinyl, not leather as on the seats.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Since Floyd asked about Studebakers, Leonard didn't "forget" Packard Hawks. I know that I am not the expert on them here, but I remember the exterior arm rests as being vinyl, not leather as on the seats.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You all are the greatest! after i finish the pickup i see a Hawk in my future....

Floyd Manley
                        Navarre, Fl

Comment

You all are the greatest! after i finish the pickup i see a Hawk in my future....

Floyd Manley
                          Navarre, Fl

Comment

Great concise (summary) explanation on the Hawk series guys. Golden Hawk 400 also. Welcome moparfanatic."
                            Once you purchase a Stude you'll never know how you managed without one. jimmijim
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Great concise (summary) explanation on the Hawk series guys. Golden Hawk 400 also. Welcome moparfanatic."
                              Once you purchase a Stude you'll never know how you managed without one. jimmijim
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X