This is a good buy: 1950 Bus. Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a good buy: 1950 Bus. Coupe

Are you serious? I've got a drivetrain for it....
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

If you are dying for a business coupe, it certainly looks like a start. However, I would not give much more than scrap value for the car. Given where it is located, I can say, from experience, and with a fair degree of confidence, that if the floor boards are gone as he states, it is very likely that two-thirds of the A pillars where the front fenders attach will be rusted away. Most likely the fender air vents will be severely eroded where the air tunnels attach. Once you remove the rear fenders, the mud baffles will be very thin, and the body will most likely be rusted up into the leaded in area where the panels were welded together during assembly. In that area there is also an internal body strengthening C channel that will probably be rusted on both sides.

Truly a desirable iconic body style and a car that is worth saving as restored to stock or rodded. However, buying it right will be merely the start of a very expensive journey.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not that I have an interest in buying it, but I can't tell from the hood if it's a Commander or a Champion. If I had a bucket list, a '50 Commander Business Coupe would be on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          Not that I have an interest in buying it, but I can't tell from the hood if it's a Commander or a Champion. If I had a bucket list, a '50 Commander Business Coupe would be on it.
          Tom,

From the productrion lists that I have seen I don't believe they made a 50 Commander Business Coupe. Only one 51 Commander Business Coupe was ever produced and it does not appear to have survived.
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Working...
          X