brand X rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: brand X rear axle

does anyone have a suggestion or experience with a brand X posi traction rear axle for a '63 hawk preferably Mopar? bur any would do as lond as i dont have to cut it down. The stude axle seems pretty short I may hve to cut one down i've did a liitle bit of search for mopar A body 8 3/4 they seem to be rare.
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

The 8-3/4 is a good axle. But, not many work on it and parts can by hard to get. Though that and the old Pontiac/Olds assemblies are comming back a little as far as finding rebuild parts.
    As far width...nope, gotta cut'em. A friend put some version of the 8-3/4 into a 49 Stude truck years ago...he had to narrow it to fit.

Mike

Comment

does anyone have a suggestion or experience with a brand X posi traction rear axle for a '63 hawk preferably Mopar?
      Your car, your decision, but the question is why? The Dana 44 is the most common rear axle ever made. The Stude car versions are still thick on the ground in every conceivable gear ratio and with Twin Traction. Every 4X4 shop has parts and builds them every day for Jeeps, Chevy and Ford pickups.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Your car, your decision, but the question is why? The Dana 44 is the most common rear axle ever made. The Stude car versions are still thick on the ground in every conceivable gear ratio and with Twin Traction. Every 4X4 shop has parts and builds them every day for Jeeps, Chevy and Ford pickups.

jack vines
        Good points there.

And the Dana44 is under all Nissan Titan pickups as well as some Isuzu Rodeos I believe...............
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Will any BrandX rearend parts fit the housing on a 63 V/8 to convert it to Posi-Trac?
          Allen

Comment

Will any BrandX rearend parts fit the housing on a 63 V/8 to convert it to Posi-Trac? Allen
            Yes. As previously mentioned, the Dana 44 was used under practically everything at one time or another. The list of vehicles which have used it over the past fifty years would be pages long. About ten different OEMs and ten different aftermarket limited slip units have been manufactured.

Having said that, installing a limited slip and getting it right is beyond most CASOs. Suggest you visit all the 4x4 and off-road shops in the area. Ask the Jeep and pickup enthusiasts who they recommend for Dana 44 work.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Yes. As previously mentioned, the Dana 44 was used under practically everything at one time or another. The list of vehicles which have used it over the past fifty years would be pages long. About ten different OEMs and ten different aftermarket limited slip units have been manufactured.

Having said that, installing a limited slip and getting it right is beyond most CASOs. Suggest you visit all the 4x4 and off-road shops in the area. Ask the Jeep and pickup enthusiasts who they recommend for Dana 44 work.

jack vines
              I agree with Jack on all the above. To build mine in the 83 Avanti. New gears (Richmond) $150, Auburn pro series posi $350, seal & bearing kit $125 and assembly by the local race builder $150.

That will give you an idea of cost to do it right. Your results may vary (I've heard that some where before). I have assembled a few GM 10 bolts correctly but reading up on the 44 convinced me there were a few nuances that I thought made it worth paying an expert.

Bob

Comment

Had an Auburn unit installed in my 1963 Hawk - First choice Eaton did not have the proper axle spline count. The Auburn has worked very well (need to use the car every couple weeks to keep the diff. clutches lubed and operating properly). The diff was set-up by the shop (yes it was a project - Can't imagine doing it while laying on the floor on my back). The only other caution was to avoid wheel "hop" - Seems it is very hard on the diff.
                paulTK

Comment

Working...
                X