where to get tire stem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: where to get tire stem

After finding all kinds of things which most people think would be hard to find in getting my '55 Champion up and running, I never would have thought that finding a tire stem would be so difficult. But, after going to two places today just to have a simple tire stem replaced (after it was sliced open by a hubcap that likes to move) and being told, "We don't carry that big of a size," I need some help as to where to locate the proper tire stem.

Thanks everyone for again putting up with a simple question.

That's pretty silly that any place calling themselves an auto parts store wouldn't have them.

Heck, the larger-diameter valve stem was used on Ford pickups for a long time.

Any NAPA store would have them, as would any tire shop, I would think. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have started to use NAPA's metal valve stems to combat the problem of walking wheel covers cutting valve stems.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I used to have some grommets that went over the smaller stem to fill the larger hole in the wheel.

Denny L

Comment

Are you sure those were not just the "protectors" for the holes when using TUBES? I do not think that is the purpose as they would leak, better to buy the (almost) very common correct size.

When I go to the tire store for any tire work, new tires etc. I take my stems with me, they are 1/4 of the price at Auto Parts Stores AND they always HAVE them, my tire store does not either. Big Box, high volume, Minimum Stock, stores...UGH! Bah humbug! Useless!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I purchased nickel plated metal stems from the local automotive service station for my Hawk. They likely would have cost less at an auto parts store, but they are a small cost item so it doesnt make much difference to the wallet.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You might call the tire store first to both make sure they have them or if not, if they will use your stems. Last year I went to get tires at a Firestone store & they wouldnt mount them with my stems. Used the "we cant take the liability" excuse, even though it was obvious my stems were new.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I got around that excuse by furnishing the Firestone store here with my four wheels with new metal stems purchased and allready installed by myself.

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                You might call the tire store first to both make sure they have them or if not, if they will use your stems. Last year I went to get tires at a Firestone store & they wouldnt mount them with my stems. Used the "we cant take the liability" excuse, even though it was obvious my stems were new.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I went to metal stems on my 55 after reading, here, about the wheel covers walking on the rims. Heck two of mine trotted down the road. No more. My garage next door has them in stock. Good luck.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                  X