62 GT Hawk Trunk Lid Interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk Trunk Lid Interchange

I know that for the 62 and 63 GT, Studebaker used the trunk lid from previous years and added a chrome panel to cover the rear, but does anyone happen to know how far back the trunk lid remained the same?

I'm looking for one but do not know how far back I can go.

All Studebaker Hawks use that Trunk Lid except the 1964, so that is back to 1957 and to 1956, by adding minor grooving to the area around the lock, if you do not cover it with the Aluminum Overlay Panel.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good ones with good groves should be saved and used on 57-61 hawks with out a cover the 62-63 that use the over lay can have a lid with some problems and never show.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        All Studebaker Hawks use that Trunk Lid except the 1964, so that is back to 1957 and to 1956, by adding minor grooving to the area around the lock, if you do not cover it with the Aluminum Overlay Panel.
        Rich, '56 was a one year only deck lid. It had a twist handle instead of just a key lock, and the handle was in a lower location than the later locks, too.

Comment

How embarrassing! I guess I stand slapped down by the kid! Lol!

Our '56 Power Hawk has been in the family so long, actually since 1962, that I almost forgot that in about 1960 the Customer of Dad's that he sold this car to New must have gotten into a rear end-er, because the Lid was replaced with a New '57 by the Dealer Dad worked at, and I am pretty sure if '56's were available at the time it would have one, don't really know.

It has a pretty unique setup that looks just like a '57 Silver Hawk complete with the "Power Hawk" nameplates around the Stude. Crest on the lower right corner and just the key lock in the center, no "shield, emblem or twist handle like a '56 would have.

So I knew about the missing grooving around the lock and handle but forgot about the location being different, so you could use a '56 on a '62 but not with the overlay panel.
          It would be a really bad choice though for all those '56 owners looking for the very rare one-off '56Hoods and Decklids!
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have hoods and trunks lids for the 56 hawk.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I'm confused(as usual). There is a 61 Hawk here that has the the aluminum overlay on the trunk and the owner maintains it came that way from the dealer. Does this mean the trunk lid is from a later model and therefore the car is not original or could it be a basket baby from the factory with mixed parts??

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                I'm confused(as usual). There is a 61 Hawk here that has the the aluminum overlay on the trunk and the owner maintains it came that way from the dealer. Does this mean the trunk lid is from a later model and therefore the car is not original or could it be a basket baby from the factory with mixed parts??
                It means that it was modified after Studebaker built it (maybe by the dealer, if it was a left-over after the 1962 models came out). More than likely, the trunk lid has been replaced. Not your "basket baby" scenario because the overlays were not on the line when the 1961 Hawks were being built.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Verrry interesting...I can hardly wait to drop this on him because he always told me it designated a late 61 GT model. Hee Hee

Comment

Verrry interesting...I can hardly wait to drop this on him because he always told me it designated a late 61 GT model. Hee Hee
                    Studebaker used "GT" to define the 1961 Hawk, but there were no GT Hawk models for the 1961 model year.
                    Post the body number and we can see how near the end of 1961 Hawk production it was built.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Studebaker used "GT" to define the 1961/Cut/Limited Edition, serialized 4 speed Hawk(s),/Cut/ but there were no GT Hawk models for the 1961 model year.
                      Post the body number and we can see how near the end of 1961 Hawk production it was built.
                      I used a little "poster's license' to ahh, adjust Gary's post.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hello--i need a trunk lid -58 hawk-thanks Ken. email---drjulie@mtpalomar.net

Comment

Wait a minute here...I owned an Autumn Haze with Pearl Beige insert '61 Hawk four speed that had the deck lid overlay.....bought it from its first owner, who swore it was delivered that way.....Never say never boys!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            Wait a minute here...I owned an Autumn Haze with Pearl Beige insert '61 Hawk four speed that had the deck lid overlay.....bought it from its first owner, who swore it was delivered that way.....Never say never boys!
                            As I have a 61 hawk I always have an ear open when I hear talk of 61's. When Earle Haley was a Tech Advisor for turning wheels he use to bring stories/discussions around questions to our local meetings.

He also owned a 61 Hawk for a short time. As a result he did some research. He told me that there were some whom swore that Studebaker built a GT in 61 and that they had the overlays on them. I have never personally seen one nor have I seen any documentation as such. Earle said he personally did not believe that was true.

This may be one of those cases where we have two schools of thought and no way to prove either is correct.

I do have ads advertising a 61 GT hawk but I think that it was probably an abandoned effort. We all know dealers would do most anything for the customer. As an example, how many dealers painted the stripes on the trunk lid the same color as on the fin inlay??
                            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                            1961 Hawk 4-speed
                            1967 Avanti
                            1961 Lark 2 door
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

1959/64 Studebaker Body Parts Catalog ~ Page 221 ~ Group 2130-2

1343625 .. Overlay-Trunk Lid-1962 Gran Turismo Hawk.

1353446 .. Overlay-Trunk Lid-1963 Gran Turismo Hawk.

No overlay listed for 1959/61 Hawks.

StudeRich & I were both partsmen at Frost & French and if such a thing existed for 1961 or earlier Hawks, we would know about it.
                              Last edited by WinM1895; 12-22-2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X