Rescuing my '83 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescuing my '83 Champ

Hello everyone. I'm a former active member here. I used to live in Crowley, LA and bought a '63 Champ in Witchita, KS in 2004. In '06 I got in a wreck and the truck has been sitting at a friend's shop in LA. Long story short. I got divorced and moved away. Now, finally, after all is said and done, I have the wherewithall to rescue my Stude!
    When I get off my ship next month, I'm flying down to LA, renting a U-haul and towing her to her new home. I am going to take a round about way to get upstate NY. I have friends in Tulsa I will be visiting. then I will continue north to Van Wert, Iowa. Therre is a junkyard there that I did business with in the past. Unfortunately, I lost all contact information. If anyone has the guy's name and phone number I'd appreciate it if someone would post it here or email me with it.
    After Van Wert, I'll be headed to South Bend to visit the museum. Then one more day's travel til I get home. All in all, about 2000 miles travel.
    I have collected a lot of the steering gear parts for the fix. I still need a grill clip and both front fenders. Hopefully I'll have the truck up and running by next summer.

Obviously that a 1963 not 83 Champ!

Comment

Hello, I know the junkyard in Van Wert Iowa you are talking about. I too bought some stuff from him about 15 years ago. His name is Eddie Parmer. I saw an add he had on the Des Moines craigslist a few months ago so he must still have some stuff. I have family in the area and keep thinking next time I am up that way I will call him and see what he has. The phone number he had in his craigslist add is 641-445-5692. If you talk to him I'd be interested to find out what kind of parts he has.
      TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Thank you Dude! I couldn't remember that guy's name for love nor money! Last time I bought anything from himwas a hood latch for $10.00. He told me he had body parts then so hopefully he still does. This trip will be an excellent bonding trip for my woman's son and me. We are both getting very excited. Hopefully Mr. Parmer is still in business and can help us. Thanks again! Kevin

Comment

I would diffently call him before setting off for a drive. Last time I was there parts were every where and in several different containment vessels and weeds everywhere.
          Tom
          sigpic

Comment

The last time that I talked to Parmer was the fall of 08' and he said that he was no longer in the parts business. Might be a good idea to call ahead and check if he changed his mind.
            Dean

CLEM

Comment

Thanks Commander and Clem. I will be calling Mr. Parmer tomorrow.

Comment

I spoke with Mr. Parmer when I arrived at the Cedar Rapids show in 2009 and he gave me his business card. The card says 'Parmer Studebaker Sales', Eddie Parmer, 641-446-5692
                It has his address on it too if you need it.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Seadog, if I may ask, in what condition is your Champ? If it is still in a semi-wrecked condition, that will be quite an expense to get it all the way back to Upstate New York. I don't mean to be a road trip killjoy, but it may end up costing you twice what it's worth. It will be a lot less stress on a long trip and a whole lot less fuel expense if you just try to sell it there, maybe to another club member, and use that money to find another nice one back here. Lately, there seems to be a lot of solid Champs for sale back here. You might be much further ahead if you just think about it. I realize you are making the trip anyway and there may be personal reasons to keep it, but... just a thought.

If your heart is set on towing it and you're in need of specific parts, there are quite a few folks with plenty of body parts (and more) in most dry states on your way. What is on your wish list? Offers here may change the direction of your trip! 41Frank may relieve you of some of that extra gas money if you go through Nebraska.

Comment

Thanks for the advise barnlark. When I was living in LA, I did a favor for a neighbor. He had some stuff in his backyard that we loaded into the truck for a trip to the dump. Louisiana mud being what it is, we got stuck in his backyard. I called AAA and the idiot tow truck driver put the tow hook on the tie rod. Another friend straightened it out with a torch and she seemed to drive well. Then a week later a tie rod end failed on me as I was going down the road at 60 mph. I took a ditch and landed in a rice field. The truck sustained steering gear damage and the fan would up in the radiator. The grill clip, right fender and the hood were all bent. None of the chrome was damaged though! I have bought lots of the steering gear parts already (king pins, tie rod ends, pittman arm etc...) a waterpump and a few other things I figure I'll need.
                    I really want THIS truck back on the road. Its paid for already and it means a lot to me. I know it may not be the most economical way of going about this, but I paid $7500 for the truck. No way anyone would give me anywhere near that now. This way I figure I can get her not only rebuilt, but will have time to do it right.
                    As for the route I'll be taking on the way north, that's up for grabs. If Mr. Parmer is out of business or can't help me and others on here have the body parts I need, I can change the route accordingly. I'm open to suggestions!

Comment

I would definitely call and talk to him first. But the only reason I have his number is because he posted a ad on craigslist a couple of months ago listing Studebaker parts for sale. Let us know what you find out.

Good luck on your project and road trip.
                      TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Where about in upstate NY ?
                        If your going to SB you may want to check with SI for some of that grill parts ....they probably have some of it.
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

If you are going to be in the L.A. area. George Gruver has a lot of Champ parts. You can call him at 213-747-9974 or 562-458-9991

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                            If you are going to be in the L.A. area. George Gruver has a lot of Champ parts. You can call him at 213-747-9974 or 562-458-9991
                            Wrong L.A. Alan. LA as in Louisiana. Thanks though.
                            I talked to Mr. Parmer today and he can help me out. He is recovering from an injury right now, so keep him in your prayers everyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X