1955 president coupe. throttle rod issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 president coupe. throttle rod issues

I am trying to get this car right. Someone had put a dodge engine in it and Iw went back to a 63 Lark V8. I have two issues I am tryint to solve. One: I am currently using a bowed rod connecting the gas pedal to the bell crank. The geometry is off. Which rod should I use? Second: the transmission crossmember was missing and I was able to secure a replacement thanks to a true gentleman, Dick Steincamp. Someone placed the emergency brake stop right under the gas pedal. Bad move. Where does it go? Where do you find plugs forthe floorboard. No rust, just one missing.
    My thanks to all and I am serious about getting the car working well.
    Thanks,
    John

Hello I'm no expert but two 55 I have had springs no rod just springs. Maybe someone with more knowlege can respond. One was a standard one auto.

Comment

Carb. Linkage

You may need the correct Bellcrank; the 2 brl. uses the first hole in the type with two for the Bellcrank to Carb. Rod, and the 4 Brl. uses the one on the end of the lever (the forward one).

The spring loaded Carb. Rod gets a 45 Degree bent forward Rod End for 2 Brl. and straight front Rod End for 4 Brl.

There are Two Return Springs, the forward one is hooked into a "L" Clip Bracket on the water outlet (2 Brl.) and on the Intake Manifold forward Bolt (4 Brl.).

The rear one goes from the Bellcrank to the Valve Cover.

All of the Parts are clearly shown in the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog available from Studebaker Vendors at: studebakervendors.com
      in Book or CD form.

Since you have a '63 Lark Engine I am describing it's setup, '55's are different, using a spring instead of the spring loaded Rod.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
        Hello I'm no expert but two 55 I have had springs no rod just springs. Maybe someone with more knowlege can respond. One was a standard one auto.
        When SASCO was still open I spoke to Dave about one of those springs and he said they were not available and to use the rod from a later model. This I have done and it works quite well.
        i believe spring part number 536597 I a, not sure about the rod number i think I used pn 524874. Refer plate 03-8 and 03-10 in the chassis parts catalogue. Hope this helps.
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

I put a '63 Full flow 289 in my '55 President Sedan, I used the spring rod, but had to fabricate a longer adjustment rod. I welded a threaded rod onto the existent one to lengthen it.

Comment

I had the same exact issue w/ the throttle linkage on my own '55. I believe that when I bought it it too had a '63 Lark engine and trans in it. Whoever dropped it in just enlarged the hole in the floor to allow the little rod to poke through. I didn't like that - the linkage is different C-K to Lark/Sedan. what you need is a C-K part. Now I don't remember if it was the whole bellcrank or just the part that pokes through the floor, but a look through the '63 parts book should tell you what you need to know. I also had to fab a longer shift rod to allow the Flightomatic to work with the '55 column shifter, that wasn't done correctly either. The detents did line up however, fortunately. I've since converted to a 4-speed...

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Answer, I took the badly fitting Accelerator to bellcrank rod, took out my plumbers torch and slowly changed the geometry on the rod to bend the complete opposite war and made it work! It is actually a clean fix. Thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
              X