Good Report: Dale "Lark Parker" McPhearson doing well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Report: Dale "Lark Parker" McPhearson doing well

'Spent the better part of two hours this afternoon (Friday, July 1) at the present digs of our good friend Dale "Lark Parker" McPhearson.

Woo-hoo: I'm delighted to report that he is doing unbelievably well and did consent to my posting of the visit and reporting his condition and prognosis. In summary, I was most surprised with his abilities and progress toward ultimately "being better."

Wife Barb was there when I arrived, and son Tom also showed up during the visit. They peeled off one at a time over the course of our visit, so I was able to bid Dale farewell by myself, with our customary prayer, just before dinner time.

He was sitting up in bed rarin' to go when I arrived. Previously, it was a strain for him to move across the room to the john, and that in hospital garb. Now, he had on "regular" clothes and could grab his walker and we were able to speed down the hallway (a relative term, you understand) to the day room to continue our conversation. He was not winded when we got there; it could have been twice as far from his room (it was about 75 feet as it was) and he would have done well all the way. 'Needed the walker, to be sure, but still able to proceed apace unencumbered.

Medication for the "Wegner's Disease" (however it is spelled) now consists of only pain meds to control the discomfort in his lower back attributed to a cracked vertebrae they are yet to address, and may have to let it heal itself.

He has lost lots of weight but is now able to take and hold any food, and has been released to eat anything and everything that appeals to him; no special diet. He reports having a good appetite. Dialysis continues, but seems to be less stressful.

We talked a lot about various folks in SDC, the forum, and the Springfield National Meet. He was very conversant, with excellent memory. Many of you have expressed a desire that personal best wishes be conveyed to Dale and I did just that for Cousin George, Matthew Burnette, Bob Andrews, and others. He was much appreciative of all the well-wishes.

I reported Matthew Burnette having three cars in the Springfield show representing the stainless polishing learned from Dale two years ago at Cedar Rapids. Dale just beamed at the news; a really big smile. He is proud of what Matthew has accomplished and wishes him well.

Dale has been off the internet for several months but will be checking in as soon as he gets a new power supply for his laptop, an issue about which there appeared to be little urgency(!). So for the time being, I would encourage cards and notes to Dale as I know they will be greatly appreciated. Address them to:

Dale McPhearson
    c/o Clinton House
    809 W. Freeman Street
    Frankfort IN 46041-2944

Again, this was a wonderful visit and I found much of our "old friend" back in residence as to demeanor and humor. He's still got a long way to go and will never be "all better," but I'll cautiously say that it looks like he's turned the corner.

And I forgot to mention earlier: Dale sends his regards to all and thanks for the good thoughts and prayers that have now been extended on his behalf for one full year! (He was transferred from the Frankfort hospital to the larger St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis on July 1, 2010.) Gulp. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-03-2011, 11:27 AM. Reason: Add greetings from Dale, forgotten as supper was called!
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Great news Bob. Even more reason to celebrate a little extra for this fourth of July. Thanks for keeping us updated.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It's great to read good news for a change. We wish Dale a very speedy recovery.

Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

This made my day. Thanks, BP.

Comment

Wonderful news, Bob!

Comment

Great news, indeed. I often think of Dale, and have been concerned that his lack of activity here was due to things getting worse for him. Glad to know that's not the case!
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

I sure do miss him and am very glad to hear of his better condition. Get well soon Dale!!

Comment

Great news sure missed him at South Bend and Nationals. Get well soon . Wayne

Comment

GREAT to hear! Hope he gets online at some point.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I've missed Dale here.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I too am glad to hear of his progress! Oh how I miss that unique wit & his "Cary Grant" image. I look forward to not only his return here but "out of the woods" at home too!
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Good for Dale. I'm looking forward to reading another Lark Parker adventure.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

OOPS, forgot to mention:

As we were saying our good-byes, I verified that it would be OK to post about how well he [Dale] was doing.

He chuckled and said, "Well, OK; just don't tell them I am running in any marathons yet!" <GGG> BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                          X