Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which water pump is correct for R2 Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Which water pump is correct for R2 Lark?

Gang,

I am thinking about buying another water pump for my 1964 R2 Lark. The current water pump is new and was mounted on the rebuilt engine before I purchased it. Recently, someone looking at the car said I should have the "heavy duty" water pump that has a few stiffeners around the perimeter. Mine does not have those stiffeners.

I called Studebaker International and they said they only sell two types:

1) Standard V8 water pumps.
    2) Avanti heavy duty water pumps.

They said that the Avanti water pumps won't work on the Larks as the snout length is longer and that the fan would hit the radiator if mounted on a Lark.

So, what type of water pumps did R2 Larks have? And, is the water pump I currently have on the car appropriate?

Thanks, Jeff

a 1/8 inch spacer between the fan clutch and water pump flange made an Avanti pump fit mu GT Hawk The snout on the pump was just a tad long for the piolot hole in the Hawk OEM fan clutch. I ain't Lion jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

V-8 water pumps are now once again available from some of us vendors in the non-Avanti version. They have the webbing and a larger bearing for longer life. Essentially they are an Avanti pump with non -Avanti shaft and flange.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Jim,
        Are those Lincoln/Merc/Ford Vic' wheels on the car in your post pic'?
        Paul TK

Comment

Frank, who are the vendors that you mentioned? SI doesn't have them. Thanks

Comment

I don't know right offhand which vendors. I will be restocked in a week or so as we sold every one we had at Springfield. Basically we all buy from the same wholesale supplier though. Check with someone out in your end of the country like Fairborn. Or I can sell you one as soon as they come in.
            Originally posted by studefan View Post
            Frank, who are the vendors that you mentioned? SI doesn't have them. Thanks
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Yes they are

I have been hypeing thes as a great fit for c and k. Probably most 53 and up cars. jimmijim
              Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
              Jim,
              Are those Lincoln/Merc/Ford Vic' wheels on the car in your post pic'?
              Paul TK
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
              X