Orgin of the term CASO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orgin of the term CASO

So is there a story about how it came to be?
    sigpic

I have to say I was a little unfamiliar with the term. Top Google pick was Computer Animation Studios of Ontario. I did the search in the Forum to find that this has been asked before by Drummerboy on June 11, answered by Corvanti as ‘Cheap @$$ Studebaker Owner’. BobPalma used another one in the same thread (OK, which one of you CASOs paid $95K for this Studebaker?) I have never seen, ASCer. What is this one? Google search on this revealed it is a tile of Spain. Am I just that new? Thanks guys.

Comment

I doubt that there is much of a "story" as to how the term came into existence. Probably more aptly described as an epiphany, a sudden realization of a "state of being," or a confession among "like-minded" friends. It just fits, as sure as there is a nose on your face and requires no creative imagination. Just think about it, if there were no "CASO" types, there probably would never have been a market for "T" models, push plows, McDonald's, Motel 6, Wal-Mart, and all those "as seen on TV" products.

Besides, if it were not for us CASO folks...the Avanti and Pristine Pre-war Studebaker owners would have to work much harder to find someone to look down on!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think we also have to thank the CASOs for the good supply of used parts that are still around. It would be fun to know when the term first appeared. I can't recall if I ever saw it before I joined the forum.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I have turned into a real good CASO. I have learned the prime lesson of Studebaker ownership: Never, ever, throw anything away, no matter how used up you think it is. Someone (maybe you!) will refurb it and use it again!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I first heard the term on the Studebaker News Group, maybe 10 years ago, but not sure who started it, maybe Calvin(OCF) or Jeff. I do recall N8 taught me about the FLAPS term though. Friendly-Local-Auto-Parts-Store.
            I get credit for the Nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti line.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
              Your "Cheap Avanti" line is one of the most important in the old car community. It is a red flag warning that leaves no excuse to those who choose to ignore it.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Must've been Calvin (OldCarFart)...

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                I first heard the term on the Studebaker News Group, maybe 10 years ago, but not sure who started it, maybe Calvin(OCF) or Jeff. I do recall N8 taught me about the FLAPS term though. Friendly-Local-Auto-Parts-Store.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Lowly Studebaker CASOs

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  /Cut/Besides, if it were not for us CASO folks...the Avanti and Pristine Pre-war Studebaker owners would have to work much harder to find someone to look down on!
                  GOOD ONE, John Lol!! You Probably could add the Packard and Pierce Arrow people in there too!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In order for a term to gain general circulation, enough people have to see it, comment on it and then it gets repeated enough to be recognized. Guarantee CASO can be traced back to a vendor. Since for many years Studes were cheap orphan used cars, they were bought by those with no money or those looking for the lowest net operating cost. High dollar restorations are a recent phenomenon. Someone selling parts noticed most Stude owners wanted their cars and parts used, rebuilt, always at a bargain. The last resort was to pay full retail.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

The first time that I heard the term CASO was back in the early 1970's. It was used by a Studebaker enthusiast, an SDC member, who told me that it referred to us Studebaker owners. This was due to the fact that we never threw anything away, kept spares in case parts sources dried up, and generally referred to Studebaker owners as do it yourselfers Hence the term as it was explained to me back in the day!
                      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Whenever this comes up I like to add, some of us do not fit this tightwad description and are proud of it. I've never been the guy that Lee D. talked to at a Meet that was trying to chisel him down on a complete taillight assembly that was $5

(Note: If someone here was that chiseler, sorry, I did mean to offend you <GG>).
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

You are just in denial, and won't admit it

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                          Whenever this comes up I like to add, some of us do not fit this tightwad description and are proud of it.
                          <snip>
                          [/I]
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Not even true. I have paid a fur piece more than $5 for a taillight assembly on a NUMBER of occasions. And didn't even chisel. Much.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

CASO-chiseling is the perfect example of "free-market economics" some love to chant.
                              I love negotiating trades, be they money-to-parts, parts-to-parts or arts-to-parts.

Besides, nobody becomes a CASO without, at some point, having been a PESO (Parts-Extorted Studebaker Owner)*
                              *FLAPS part repackaged through a Studebaker vendor. (No judgement - finder's fees are fine)

If you're good enough to make CASO work, good for you. If not, still good for those owners because they got what they needed.

Free market. Same thing. All good. Rock on.
                              Last edited by Andy R.; 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM. Reason: horrible syntax
                              Andy
                              62 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X