Hydrovac....Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrovac....Is it worth it?

Well I've been playing around with my new (new to me anyways) '62 GT Hawk for the past few weeks, and just had the transmission resealed and got to drive it to work this week a few times without any leaks The brakes have always felt strange to me as if the pedal was low but the car stops fine, just needs a lot of pressure. So in my adjusting of the throttle-kickdown linkage yesterday I was looking and noticed that the car was equipped with a Hydrovac at one point in time as the two rubber lines and bracket connect into a T-fitting to the brake light sensor.
    After doing a little research I see that the power assist brake pedal is lower and found some posts talking about hydrovacs with issues.

I guess long story short, is it worth it to go get a new/rebuilt Hydrovac unit and install it? Or would I be better off in just getting the right brake pedal for manual brakes and save some $$. I have a Hydrovac unit that needs a rebuild that I pulled out of my dad's garage when I moved to Iowa that has been sitting for some time. So I could use it as a core.

BTW, my Hawk is a driver and not a show car so being 100% correct is not my concern. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    John Reich

1955 Studebaker President
    1960 Studebaker Lark (For Sale)
    1962 Studebaker GT Hawk

My 62 GT Hawk used to have a Hydrovac but after having problems with it I removed it and installed the non-power brake pedal assy and have had no regrets. Car stops fine and I can personally tell very little difference in stopping ability.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

My 62 GT had the original hydrovac. I had to rebuilt it twice (the first rebuild failed). I would rather never have another car with that system. So, no, I'd say it's not worth it.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

It is absolutely worth it! The system works great when in good working order. You will have stopping power as good as any modern vehicle. The key is to having everything in the system funtioning properly.

Comment

I bought a Power brake booster with a dual master cylinder for a 1973 Dodge swinger from Auto Zone. It was a direct bolt on except for 4 half inch spacers to bolt it to the bracket. The cost was about $180.00. It works like a charm on my 1963 Wagonaire.
          Fred

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Studeguru View Post
            I bought a Power brake booster with a dual master cylinder for a 1973 Dodge swinger from Auto Zone. It was a direct bolt on except for 4 half inch spacers to bolt it to the bracket. The cost was about $180.00. It works like a charm on my 1963 Wagonaire.
            That's great info for a later Lark, but won't work for a Hawk which still used the under-the-floor master cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
              It is absolutely worth it! The system works great when in good working order. You will have stopping power as good as any modern vehicle. The key is to having everything in the system funtioning properly.
              I like the Hydrovac but admit to having some problems early on. It used to grab something awful. Has it turned out there had been a lack of maintence. The fill hole for the leather seal lub is under the battery case, a bad area for maintence. I used a street elbow and a brass standpipe (both 1/8th NPT) to raise it to just about the height of the battery. Now I just remove the pipe cap and add leather lube. It has taken my Speedster from scary grabbing brakes to a feel quite a bit like modern iron. IMHO, I would keep the Hydrovac.

Murray
              Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

SI has a line on brand new Hydrovac's -Not Rebuilt- no core required. I installed the new one in South Bend this past spring. I would go with the new one before I would have a rebuilt one sent out with your core. You never really know what you are getting back. Often the sealing rings where the banjo fitting is installed are damaged to the point that you can't seal them with copper seals. I think the new one I bought cost me $375, available in both Disc brake and Drum brake versions. My Hawk stops on a dime and picks it up in true CASO fashion.
                Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 07-01-2011, 09:21 AM.
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I installed a Hydrovac on my 62 Champ pickup it stops great.

Comment

Working...
                  X