Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern power steering (again) on a Stude.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Modern power steering (again) on a Stude.........

I just tumbled to something here: I have an integral PS gear from a ca. 2004 Jeep Wrangler which may swap in place of the OEM gear on a Stude car using a custom bracket.. The Jeep gear is a short and squatty thing, about the same overall length as the OEM Stude piece..
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Pictures Please! Better than 1,000 words.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      Pictures Please! Better than 1,000 words.

I have one of those animals sitting at work.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The problem I see here is the mounting. For this box to work it would have to be mounted on top of the frame so that the original pitman arm & reach rod would connect. This though would require a very strong bracket to mount on both sides of the left frame rail & the box to mount on top of the frame rail. These gearboxes are made for the pitman arm to swing left to right as opposed to the Studebaker arm swinging forward & rearward. If the mounting question could be answered the other thing that would have to be tackled would be the steering column itself. One could go with an aftermarket item such as Ididit or heavily modify the Stude column to keep inward appearance the same.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
          The problem I see here is the mounting. For this box to work it would have to be mounted on top of the frame so that the original pitman arm & reach rod would connect. This though would require a very strong bracket to mount on both sides of the left frame rail & the box to mount on top of the frame rail. These gearboxes are made for the pitman arm to swing left to right as opposed to the Studebaker arm swinging forward & rearward. If the mounting question could be answered the other thing that would have to be tackled would be the steering column itself. One could go with an aftermarket item such as Ididit or heavily modify the Stude column to keep inward appearance the same.
          If you've ever seen 53-58 Studebaker power steering (Saginaw), you will notice a very stout steel bracket that bolts to the side of the frame, makes an "L" and the Saginaw unit bolts on top of the frame.(It has already been done by the FACTORY)
          These units also had a coupling similar to modern cars, that is the column was a separate unit. This unit would more than likely not present problems mounting turned 90 degrees, as newer boxes use power steering fluid as the total lubrication package. No separate section like the older Saginaw on Studes.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            If you've ever seen 53-58 Studebaker power steering (Saginaw), you will notice a very stout steel bracket that bolts to the side of the frame, makes an "L" and the Saginaw unit bolts on top of the frame.(It has already been done by the FACTORY)
            These units also had a coupling similar to modern cars, that is the column was a separate unit. This unit would more than likely not present problems mounting turned 90 degrees, as newer boxes use power steering fluid as the total lubrication package. No separate section like the older Saginaw on Studes.
            Too since the PS fluid is high pressure. it will go where it needs to go.

Of course the Jeep box would need to turn in the same direction as the Stude unit and the Pitman arm would not only need to clear the frame rail but the sector splines would have to work as well. If all of those conditions were met the Jeep unit may be a viable solution------------and, it would keep the rest of the Stude steering linkage geometry stock. The hose ports would face outboard but that should not be an issue as long as the L/F tire clears them when turned all the way left. Making a steering column work would be (relative) child's play by comparison.
            Last edited by 1962larksedan; 07-01-2011, 05:34 AM. Reason: Cleaned up the spelling, I just woke up.

Comment

I wasnt aware of the bracket on the Saginaw units but see them in the parts book- part # 534298 for W,F,D,P &Y bodies & #534301 for C&K bodies. If this newer Jeep box is also a Saginaw I wonder if the Stude pitman arm splines are the same too? If so, it would make things alot easier.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Finally snapped a few pics of my Jeep steering gear; it's sitting atop a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper to give some perspective what size it is. Again: I don't know whether the sector shaft turns the same way as a Stude unit. OTOH: I 'lied' about the line hookups; they face towards the rear, not towards the tire, read that significantly more clearance.

Comment

I just looked at my Studebaker steering box. The sector shaft is below the worm gear on it, and above on the Jeep box. I'm afraid that would make it turn the opposite direction.Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude frame 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1668488
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Well, we tried.

I don't have a Stude (or my repair manual) handy here; if you turn the steering wheel to the right, which way does your Pitman arm go? I believe the Jeep gear (with the sector pointing down) swings its Pitman arm to the right with the stg wheel going in the same direction. Note we are discussing a ca. 2003-06 LHD Wrangler.
                    Last edited by 1962larksedan; 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I just went out and checked, turning the streering wheel right moves the pitman arm forward. I may have been wrong, turning the wheel clockwise will move the sector counter clockwise whether it is above or below the worm, so maybe it doesn't matter. I guess it depends which direction the worm spiral is cut, left or right hand twist. Try it on the floor and let us know!
                      Last edited by 1954khardtop; 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM. Reason: added the twist variable to the confusion
                      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                        I just went out and checked, turning the streering wheel right moves the pitman arm forward. I may have been wrong, turning the wheel clockwise will move the sector counter clockwise whether it is above or below the worm, so maybe it doesn't matter. I guess it depends which direction the worm spiral is cut, left or right hand twist. Try it on the floor and let us know!
                        I went and turned the worm gear (steering wheel side) on this Jeep/Mercedes box to the right (clockwise) and the @#$%^& sector shaft goes clockwise..........meaning the Pitman arm would swing back. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

Working...
                        X