No announcement yet.

Do I have the correct axle ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Do I have the correct axle ?

I have a 56 President 56H, Serial number # 7810358, 3 speed, overdrive.
    Rearend tag is 47/12, the driveshaft turns a little less than 4 and 1/3 turns to 1 drum turn. [what is this ratio and is it correct ?]
    10" drums, 7/8" wheel cylinders.
    According to the 55-58 Chassis Catalog the outer flange gaskets and outer oil seal retainer looks like the one for a 56G [pg343], NOT like for a 56H [pg344].
    Also on both wheels the hubs were grinding themselves into the backing plate. Almost halfway through. Neither wheel had shims to adjust endplay. I haven't checked endplay yet.
    When I pulled the hubs both nuts were only tight to about 20 lbs and both hubs pulled off with NO effort.
    The manual isn't clear on how to check endplay other then dimensions so I will need some coaching on that.
    Thanks for any infirmation you can give me.
    Dan
    South Lompoc Studebaker

The 47/12 should be the number of teeth on the ring gear and the number of teeth on the pinion.
    47/12= 3.9166666666666666666666666666667 (give or take a couple thousandths of a revolution)
    Could have been worked on by a less skilled tech at one time or another...
    Service manual, and disassemble and inspect to see what you really have time...
    HTIH
    Jeff

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    I have a 56 President 56H, Serial number # 7810358, 3 speed, overdrive.
    Rearend tag is 47/12, the driveshaft turns a little less than 4 and 1/3 turns to 1 drum turn. [what is this ratio and is it correct ?]
    10" drums, 7/8" wheel cylinders.
    According to the 55-58 Chassis Catalog the outer flange gaskets and outer oil seal retainer looks like the one for a 56G [pg343], NOT like for a 56H [pg344].
    Also on both wheels the hubs were grinding themselves into the backing plate. Almost halfway through. Neither wheel had shims to adjust endplay. I haven't checked endplay yet.
    When I pulled the hubs both nuts were only tight to about 20 lbs and both hubs pulled off with NO effort.
    The manual isn't clear on how to check endplay other then dimensions so I will need some coaching on that.
    Thanks for any infirmation you can give me.
    Dan
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
      I have a 56 President 56H, /Cut/According to the 55-58 Chassis Catalog the outer flange gaskets and outer oil seal retainer looks like the one for a 56G [pg343], NOT like for a 56H [pg344]./Cut/Dan
      If you look up the Seal and Retainer PART NUMBER by it's Pic I.D. #, you will find that there is only one for all models, it is 533161 which looks like the one in the Pic for Champions.
      The other pic is a mistake, it is the Truck outer seal & retainer.

If you are asking if the Ratio is correct, yes that 3.92 is one of the standard ratios used with T85 Overdrive equipped '56 Presidents, some were 4.09 and more were optional.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-29-2011, 10:47 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X