Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: carb questions

55 President 4 barrel carb
    Been sitting for who knows how long. I got it fired up but I'm pretty sure at least one jet is clogged and the rest probably dirty.
    I assume the two front jets should spray an equal amount of fuel in an even pattern at idle?
    The drivers side is barely dribbling and seems more plugged than when I first started it.
    I also assume the two rear don't really spray till the rear two barrels open up?

How should I go about fixing this up? Just not sure if I have to take a lot apart or if there's quick easy access to the vitals. I'm sure I could figure it out but thought you guys might have some good tips.

Hi, I think your problem is more than the carb. Your going to have to take the carb apart because there's going to be crud in the bowl, cleaning the jet is only going to last a short time. If the car has been sitting for a long time theres going to be stuff in the gas tank. You can try putting a filter between the fuel pump and the carb, but it will most likely clog in a short time. In the long run it's best to clean the whole fuel system for reliable fuel delivery. Sorry, I don't think theres a quick fix. I had to do this on my 55 president after rebuilding the carb, putting in a filter, and finally pulling the gas tank and having it boiled out. Brian

Comment

Crud in the bowl...
      There's likely "crud" everywhere..!

When gasoline starts to go bad inside all of the little passages it can go from hard to just a jell like substance. I've actually had "old" gas come out of a fuel line in a crystal looking form.
      Make it easy on yourself, just give it a through cleaning (that is...a soak) rebuild (or have someone if you can't !) and verify all....of the passages are clear, then reassemble it.

Do it right the first time, otherwise, you'll be chasing your tail...as they say..!

Mike

Comment

Is there some sort of rebuild kit with new gaskets and whatever else I might need?

Comment

Look on the positive side...you are about to gain some knowledge you didn't have before! The good comments from others gives you a head start. One very very important thing. If you dismantle the carb for rebuilding, do not use lacquer thinner, MEK, or similar solvents. Use carburetor cleaner. The porous castings are sealed with a sealing agent that will be harmed by the wrong type of solvent. That is why so many of our cars have leaky carbs and smell like gas fumes.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

So any sugestions for a rebuild kit? I'm afraid I'll get in there and find a bunch of old brittle dead gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshimitsuspeed View Post
              So any sugestions for a rebuild kit? I'm afraid I'll get in there and find a bunch of old brittle dead gaskets.
              I have not bought a kit in a long time, but I think they are available. How about posting a picture of yours and any model numbers you are able to find. Someone here should be able to help you identify it and get the proper kit number and offer suggestions of where to buy a kit or even a replacement carb.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What you have is likely a Carter WCFB carburetor -- find the little triangular brass tag on under one of the top screws on the carb and post the number here. Likely, what you've got is a 2219 or 2330.

www.thecarburetorshop.com sells rebuild kits for these that have all the gaskets, springs and little balls in them Also, there's a great book by Dave Emanuel called, appropriately enough, Carter Carburetors. It's an oldie, but still available and full of tips on rebuilding and tuning WCFBs and AFBs. Very useful book and easy to read.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Most of the Studebaker vendors have the kits.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    What you have is likely a Carter WCFB carburetor -- find the little triangular brass tag on under one of the top screws on the carb and post the number here. Likely, what you've got is a 2219 or 2330.

www.thecarburetorshop.com sells rebuild kits for these that have all the gaskets, springs and little balls in them Also, there's a great book by Dave Emanuel called, appropriately enough, Carter Carburetors. It's an oldie, but still available and full of tips on rebuilding and tuning WCFBs and AFBs. Very useful book and easy to read.

Thanks for the link

Comment

Beautiful! You have the original carb. 2219SA = 1955 President 259 with standard transmission. Sweet!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Napa had the kit for a Carter WE as of three years ago. Worth a call for the WCFB. Stude venders were about the same price so I bought there.

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
                          Napa had the kit for a Carter WE as of three years ago. Worth a call for the WCFB. Stude venders were about the same price so I bought there.
                          I don't buy anything at autoparts stores that takes more than 15 minutes to install. Too many bad experiences. I would way rather pay a little more and wait a little longer to deal with somone who knows what they are talking about and specializes in what I am looking for.
                          I didn't see any online shopping for the carburator shop. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if anyone is there.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Can anyone recomend another place to get a rebuiuld kit? Carb king has been slow to reply to emails and every time I try to call it's busy. I would love somewhere I could just click buy pay and be done with it.

I found this one on ebay that says it will work but not sure if I should go with that or look somewhere else.

Comment

May I re-suggest www.thecarburetorshop.com ? They got me my order very quickly and are knowledgeable folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X