Clear All

• 2nd day, Springfield

Of all the sights in Springfield, this one might be the most welcome:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gas.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1733584

It was a little cooler yesterday and not quite as breezy outside. However, I'm still in the frigid zone inside. No one should be unhappy about the interior temp except those of us in the direct path of the “Blue Norther” they use for an AC.

It seemed to me a little sparse, people-wise yesterday

Name:	swap.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1733585

but it allowed me to finally did get outside to get some pix. Not a lot of cars yet in the concourse space but some very unusual ones. I'll leave the lovely ones for everyone else. I'll do the 'other' ones.

For example this 'barn fresh' '56 Hawk. If ever there was a car that needed a 'complete restoration' this one does. According to the owner, it has a 352 'bored' to 374 c.i. plus the 2-4-barrel carb set up for that engine. $4850.

Name:	56 hawk.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1733586

Then there is this '49 Champion whose mom was scared by a '56 Buick:

Name:	buick.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1733587

This El Camino with a '50 Champion front end” and some kind of a special engine:

Name:	50.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1733588

Here's a custom pick-up:

And just when you thot you'd seen it all, the Bat-mobile of pick-ups:

There is a discussion going on about charging $5 to enter the swap meet area if you are not registered for the convention. It appears 1) you must pay the $5 each day if you want to come inside but 2) there is no charge if you only want to see the outdoor swap meet.

This means, of course, that there may be some (even MANY) people who do not come inside because of the $5 charge, yet do go to the outside because it's free. I'm making no judgment at present because I may not have all the facts. I understand the theory of charging non-convention attendees. I've been to several OTHER swap meets and they ALL charge to come in. And if you come more than one day, you pay each day you come. However, it DOES seem to me that if there is a charge for coming inside, there should be one for the outside area also.

John
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM.

John: I really APPRECIATE your daily postings. It allows us 'non-attendees' to enjoy the meet as well. Great job! stupak

Comment

Hey--I'm having more fun than YOU!

John

Comment

Qustion on the 1956 Hawk:automatic or 3 speed?
        I noted that it has the wrong hood, perhaps the original flew up when racing?
        sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

Thanks for the reports. I like the electronic gas sign, can change prices in a hurry that way. Still $.60 cheaper than here in L.A.

Comment

I could be wrong but from this pic, it appears to be OD.

Name:	56 int.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1668351 Click image for larger version

Name:	56 for sale.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1668352

I took these yesterday before I knew there would be a test! I think the guy who originally told me about it, also said it was OD.

John
            Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by White Hawk View Post
              The 1956 Golden Hawk for sale here in Springfield does have the wrong hood and the original apparently flew up at one time. Damage to the roof was minimal and was repaired long ago.

The present owner is the brother of the guy who has owned it since 1961, per Frank Ambrogio, with whom I checked the Serial Number today.

The car is indeed a factory overdrive car, per Frank's "running" the serial number, and was originally Redwood / Snowcap White, although it is now all black and needs everything. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thank you for your posts I wish we could have made it back there but there is always next year. Thank you very much.
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                The Prez 1955 President State
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

John,

Thanks for posting the pics. I was beginning to think that no one had brought a camera to Springfield.

Those of us unable to attend appreciate seeing the Meet through your eyes.

JWW
                  Last edited by JWW; 06-22-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by White Hawk View Post
                    Mike, it's serial number 6032947 and as BP mentioned, it began life as a 3-spd. O.D., less power steering.

Comment

Well, Springfield has been a blast so far, been meeting up with some familiar faces,

But one must watch out for this fella. (Johnnywiffer)

He may make your Studebaker disapear.

Be sure to ask him where the 4 of diamonds or the Ace of spades....is.

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

THank you its great to see faces to forum names.
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                          There is a discussion going on about charging $5 to enter the swap meet area if you are not registered for the convention. It appears 1) you must pay the $5 each day if you want to come inside but 2) there is no charge if you only want to see the outdoor swap meet.

This means, of course, that there may be some (even MANY) people who do not come inside because of the $5 charge, yet do go to the outside because it's free. I'm making no judgment at present because I may not have all the facts. I understand the theory of charging non-convention attendees. I've been to several OTHER swap meets and they ALL charge to come in. And if you come more than one day, you pay each day you come. However, it DOES seem to me that if there is a charge for coming inside, there should be one for the outside area also.

John

I agree with the statement that it should be the same for visiting all vendors (inside or out) whether it's a fee or not. There should be a gate, so that you have to enter the outdoor area through the indoor area. It just needs to be the same.
                          That's my $.02
                          Last edited by gohdes; 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I was told by a reliable source that outdoor vendor buyers not registered are having to pay as well at the outdoor gate where someone is stationed.
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                              I was told by a reliable source that outdoor vendor buyers not registered are having to pay as well at the outdoor gate where someone is stationed.
                              maybe it needs to be said in the way that you need to be registered to attend. If you don't have a badge, you can "register" for the meet to get a one day badge for $5 so you can come and go as you please that day. If we portray that it's a registration for the studebaker meet and not a "vendor fee" maybe that would sound better to the people who walk in as non-registered guests. I don't know, just thinking of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X