Stripping Paint on Fan Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping Paint on Fan Clutch

Ok, I have decided to paint my supercharger and fan factory orange. It is currently a florescent orange and very ugly especially with the overspray on the fan clutch. My prob is how do I remove the paint from the aluminum fan clutch and brighten it up without messing it up. I have tried lemon juice/salt and bleach. I have read that using paint stripper will dull it. Any suggestions on what works?
    Last edited by shouldbesad; 06-21-2011, 08:57 PM.

Brass brush???

Comment

Try acetone or spray with brake cleaner. The paint should dissolve easily.

Comment

Its been my experience with aluminum engine parts that even if you get them clean of paint and grease, they will look sort of splotchy with stains and variable amounts of shiney/dull areas from different amounts of weathering or etching from acid/salt/etc. Unless you are polishing the part or want a stock look, that appearance won't do for show detailing.

One solution would be to bead blast them or walnut shell blasting, etc. If that is not a option, I've used this paint from the auto parts store with good results.

This stuff does not look like regular hardware store aluminum spray paint when dry. Its more of a semi-gloss to matte finish and does not rub off either.

If the old overspray is not too thick, you could just paint over it with the silver too.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Take it on a wire wheel and it will look like you polished it. If that is not bright enough, them take it on a rouge wheel and it will look almost like chrome

Comment

I read on the internet (yah, I know - for what it is worth) that buffing or polishing the fan clutch will displace the heat incorrectly with the fins. Is this hog-waller or could you imagine that there is some truth to this statement? Or am I just getting too anal about this?

Comment

Working...
            X